Beardie has a large wound at the base of her tail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkdude43

My dragon used to have this large lump on her tail, but then she shed it off, leaving this big gash where it was.
H3imGSy.jpg

What should I do??

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this, and I'm not trying to scare you, but that very much looks like a Yellow Fungus infection to me. I don't know how much you know about Yellow Fungus, but it's a very difficult fungal infection to treat because it grows both internally and externally at the same time, and as a result of this it requires that the Dragon takes both a oral Anti-Fungal medication and then also has a daily, topical Anti-fungal treatment at the same time. It is extremely hard to get rid of, and it often requires many months of treatment with both the oral medication and the topical medication. The sooner you start treatment, the better chance you have of treating it successfully.

You very much need to find either a Certified Reptile Vet or at the very least an experienced Reptile Vet with Dragon experience, and you need to request that they ONLY do a simple Skin-Scraping test of the area, and then send it out to a lab for testing. This is very non-invasive and cheap procedure, and it's very important that you get it done ASAP so that if it is Yellow Fungus you can get your Dragon on the oral Anti-Fungal medication, Voricozanole is the one that people seem to have had the most success with, and then also the proper topical Anti-Fungal treatment.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that doesn't look good. I would have a skin test done by a vet and treat it accordingly. It could be fungal or it could just be some raw/damaged skin which will heal up. Best to have it checked and treated early if need be as mentioned though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom