Baby Beardie Going Stiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, so your T5 light fixture broke before you got it? Aggravating. You might check at Home
Depot or Lowes, they "might" have a T5 fixture but not sure.
Well, 59F isn't horrible. You could put him in a plastic bin to keep him warmer & sit with him.
If it is nice & sunny, putting him in a plastic bin would help keep the wind off of him. You can
try. I'm sorry the fixture broke!
Let us know how Juniper is doing.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Reptogal":3jku7y6z said:
EllenD":3jku7y6z said:
That's not good...did you order the T5 UVB tube and a fixture for it? Do you already have the T5-rated tube fixture? What length did you order? I'm asking because you may be able to find an adequate UVB tube at a local pet shop. I just wasn't sure if you ordered a fixture for the T5 tube too, if you did then you'd have to find a T5 strength tube that is the same length as the fixture, and if you got the 36" fixture that would be difficult.

It's 72 degrees right now in central PA (it's the apocalypse, I swear it is), so depending on where you're at you might be able to get him outside for some direct sunlight...other than that just call them and get them to overnight you the tube, they should do it for free at this point...

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BB6334G/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I also ordered a fixture for it, I guess it was the fixture that broke... but now I have just found out that they are sold out so Idk what to do... which hood do I get now..? I feel like such a terrible person what if Juniper (my beardie) gets sick... should I find a vet to take care of him while I sort this out..? And it is 55 degrees out :/ that’s probably too cold huh?

This link that you posted is the actual T5 UVB tube, not the fixture...So I want to make sure we are on the same page here, you actually got the UVB tube itself and it's fine, but the fixture is what was broken? If so, what fixture did you buy that they are out of? And what length of actual tube did you buy? I just want to make sure that I've got this correct, that you actually have an in-tact T5 UVB tube (the Reptisun 10.0 one, let me know what length you got so I know), but you do not have a fixture to put it in...

Reptogal

Original Poster
The fixture is what broke but I’ve sorted it out and got a refund and free shipping on a new one it’ll be here tomorrow. The uvb light is this one, I just got it today https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BB6334G/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And then this is the fixture that is coming tomorrow but it actually has a light in it already https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQU8FR4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He ate so much today I am so happy about that lol and I did get him outside for a few minutes yesterday but not for very long because he was acting like he was cold

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you got a refund & free shipping. I hope the new one is in tact when you
get it tomorrow!
At least he ate a lot then, he must not be feeling too badly then. Bless him, it just wasn't
quite warm enough for him, but you tried! Maybe soon it will be warm enough for him to
enjoy some sun from time to time.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptogal

Original Poster
Drache613":2pm3psv9 said:
Hello,

That is great you got a refund & free shipping. I hope the new one is in tact when you
get it tomorrow!
At least he ate a lot then, he must not be feeling too badly then. Bless him, it just wasn't
quite warm enough for him, but you tried! Maybe soon it will be warm enough for him to
enjoy some sun from time to time.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

If something bad happens with his bones, when the uvb comes will it help it get better? Because I noticed today he isn’t using his legs very much he moves around by wiggle on his belly ::

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent, that was pretty fast then! :D
If he is starting to suffer some back leg weakness, hopefully with the new UVB it will start
to expedite improvement on his strength for his bone.
Make sure you are giving calcium, daily, to help with absorption in combination with his new
light, too!
Let us know how he is doing & how he likes his new UVB, too.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Just an FYI, DO NOT USE THE UVB TUBE THAT CAME WITH THE HOOD, IT'S ONLY A 5% UVB TUBE, OR A 5.0!! It would have to be much, much closer to your dragon and under the mesh lid to be adequate. Use the 10.0 Tube that you ordered seperately, it's the one that can sit on top of the mesh lid as long as it's within about 10" of his basking spot.

That damn package-deal always gets people, they don't realize it's only a 5% UVB tube and that it has to be very, very close and also be replaced after 6 months instead of a year like the 10.0 (The 5.0 tubes are meant for Tropical Reptiles that don't need such strong, intense UVB light). So make sure that the tube you're using is the 10.0 tube that you ordered separately.

Reptogal

Original Poster
I noticed that and made sure to switch it to my 10.0 that I bought :) he’s feeling better already and when I installed it he ran right over to where it was well sorta ran. It’s like he knew he needed it, it was so sweet

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, they are instinctive & I am sure he did see the UVB which is where he needed to be. :D
I hope he likes it & does well with it, too.
I am glad to hear he is feeling better also! Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Reptogal

Original Poster
Drache613":lwkmn4xs said:
Hello,

Yes, they are instinctive & I am sure he did see the UVB which is where he needed to be. :D
I hope he likes it & does well with it, too.
I am glad to hear he is feeling better also! Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

He is back to his old self! :D running all around his tank and eating a lot :) and he is very happy to come outside his tank and hang out with me again :) and back to hissing at my husband lol xD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great he is running around & playing now out of his tank! :D It definitely sounds like
he is feeling much better now. Plus, if his appetite has picked up, he must be in a much
better mood!
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom