Mouth rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibooze

Hi there I have recently adopted this beardie and she doesnt seem well at all. Based on these pictures could anyone tell me if she has a problem with her mouth? TIA
97525-8450414007.jpg

Blm216

Mouth rot is generally seen more with iguanas. Though it can happen. Where did you adopt it from? A breeder? One of my dragons has a completely different color on the mouth, and she's not a paradox. Is he/she acting normal and eating well? Can you add a side picture and if possible one of the teeth. If it is mouth rot, it would be very visible on the inside.

Hope all is well! Best Wishes!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardies do get mouth rot . Post a few more pictures, a bit more close up. Are you positive it's not some type of food ? Take a wet paper towel + see if it will come off by VERY gently rubbing it.

Ibooze

Original Poster
No shes not eating, sleeping all day very thin and weak. She continued to sleep as I gave her a bath. There was even some blood in her urates. I do not know the person who previously owned her. I even wondered if she was stressed and upset at being given up.
I will try to get a side picture of her mouth.

Ibooze

Original Poster
Here it is
97525-5118369209.jpg

I just got a thermometer for her and her basking area is at 110 but she keeps moving away from it. Crickets climb on her and i've bought her all kinds of greens with no interest but to sleep. Should i try some baby food?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
"Mouth Rot" is a general infection that spreads throughout the mouth, killing all of the tissue along it's way, and it occurs VERY OFTEN in Bearded Dragons, not just Iguanas, so that's incorrect information. However, we can't really tell if this is an infection such as Mouth Rot, as we can't see the inside of her mouth...

That being said, your Dragon looks extremely sick, probably suffering from a severe Calcium Deficiency and MBD, and if there is blood in her urates she could have a high count/load of parasites, or she could be impacted...Did she have a normal bowel movement along with the urates?

My guess here is that this Dragon was not under an adequate UVB light or fed an adequate diet, and is suffering greatly from MBD, she has a bit of bony deformity in her jaw/face that is typical with MBD, and the lack of appetite, lethargy, etc. is also indicative of MBD, though it could also be other issues on top of the MBD too, like parasites, infections, etc.

What kind of set-up do you have her in? What UVB light do you have? And her temperature zones?

She is going to need an extremely strong UVB tube and fixture, a long T5 strength UVB tube is highly recommended, along with a bright-white colored Basking Bulb right alongside the T5 UVB tube, both over the Hot Side of the tank, with her Basking Spot/Platform directly underneath both lights. Both lights need to be on for at least 13-14 hours every day. That's step #1.

She's most likely severely dehydrated, but don't stress her out by bathing her a lot, they do not absorb any hydration by soaking in water, that's a myth, they have to get all of their hydration through their mouths just like we do. So you need to start dripping water on her snout for her to lick off, give her as much as she'll lick off, several times a day. You're probably going to have to also syringe feed her a nutrition replacement slurry/paste, such as Oxbow Critical Care, which you can order online. In the meantime you can try to syringe feed her some Squash Baby Food that has a pinch of Calcium Powder and a pinch of a Reptile Multivitamin in it, see if she'll lick that off.

She can't handle any medications right now, like antibiotics or antiparasitics, they will surely kill her (renal failure), so you need to get her hydrated and get some nutrition in her first, and get her under a strong T5 UVB tube and Basking Bulb at proper temperature zones.

Ibooze

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great sharing and care advise. I ordered her a T5 uvb lamp as suggested but unfortunately she did not make it. :-(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, that's sad, I'm so sorry. :( You got her a little too late and she couldn't overcome the infection and whatever else may have been going on. My sympathy to you.

Ibooze

Original Poster
Thank you i only had her 3 days and im already pretty devastated. Best of health to all your baby beardies out there!!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I'm so sorry, poor little guy was extremely ill from horrible care from his prior owners, it was quite obvious that he had been suffering for a long time, he's out of pain now. And I'm sorry that you had this experience right after adopting him. There was nothing at all you could have done at the point when you got him, it was very obvious he had never had proper lighting, temperatures, diet, or anything else. He deserved better, and so did you for trying to help him.

Hopefully if you get another Dragon you get a healthy one, and please feel free to come here first for help getting the tank/enclosure, lighting, temperature zones, etc. set-up properly first, that way you'll be ready to go from the start. If you already ordered a T5 strength UVB tube and a fixture for it, I would recommend that you keep both if you do plan on getting another Dragon, as that's exactly the UVB tube and fixture w/reflector that you need to keep a Dragon healthy and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom