Flashlight sexing. Is there an age range that is too young?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Flashlight sexing. Is there an age range that is too young?

Postby Linpai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi all,

We have a gorgeous new addition. Still tiny tiny at 7 weeks old. Without the flashlight I see bumps and think he looks male. With the flashlight he looks like a girl... so I wondering if he is too young to see what we should be seeing or is he actually a girl?

Linpai
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Flashlight sexing. Is there an age range that is too you

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello,

Welcome to BD.Org! It Looks like you have a little male. Typically it is a bit harder to determine the gender of a baby beardie than a SubAdult or an Adult. But once you learn what to look for, Its easy.

I Hope that you will enjoy your beardie for many years on. and I Expect that you probably know how to care for a baby beardie. :) Just make sure you have the proper heat and most importantly proper UVB (Reptisun T5 Tube Bulb) and calcium, and Hopefully he will live to a ripe old age with the proper care. :)

-HippieLizards.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Linpai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks HippieLizards.

Yes we researched intensively prior to purchasing from a reputable breeder. We have T5 HO Arcadia lighting, heat is good (no coloured bulbs) and Calcium without D3 alternated with a multivitamin with D3. I cannot imagine how people do the baby age without being prepared. Even knowing we are on top of things it is stressful!

Thanks for the confirmation.
Linpai
Newbie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello again,

Ok, you sound like your taking good care of him :) and Yes, baby beardies are quite a handfull.
Could you maybe post some pics of his setup? Also whats his substrate?

Keep up the good work! :)

-HippieLizards.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby AHBD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes, the flashlight does not work on babies, I'm not sure when it can be considered to be full proof. The first picture shows with no dispute that it's a male as was already pointed out by you + the other poster. Beardies are generally pretty easy to sex from the time they are young if you know how to hold the tail right. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby fcooper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:20 am

I've tried it on babies, but for me, their tail is too tiny and I have a hard time seeing.
Fellow beardie owner, if you'd cry if your beardie died, then you need to see this.
http://www.docdro.id/Gh3LnuP
fcooper
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion