Flashlight sexing. Is there an age range that is too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linpai

Hi all,

We have a gorgeous new addition. Still tiny tiny at 7 weeks old. Without the flashlight I see bumps and think he looks male. With the flashlight he looks like a girl... so I wondering if he is too young to see what we should be seeing or is he actually a girl?

28059148_10158195277259988_3384992155375721096_n.jpg

28378068_10158195277364988_4452264504673867398_n.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Welcome to BD.Org! It Looks like you have a little male. Typically it is a bit harder to determine the gender of a baby beardie than a SubAdult or an Adult. But once you learn what to look for, Its easy.

I Hope that you will enjoy your beardie for many years on. and I Expect that you probably know how to care for a baby beardie. :) Just make sure you have the proper heat and most importantly proper UVB (Reptisun T5 Tube Bulb) and calcium, and Hopefully he will live to a ripe old age with the proper care. :)

-HippieLizards.

Linpai

Original Poster
Thanks HippieLizards.

Yes we researched intensively prior to purchasing from a reputable breeder. We have T5 HO Arcadia lighting, heat is good (no coloured bulbs) and Calcium without D3 alternated with a multivitamin with D3. I cannot imagine how people do the baby age without being prepared. Even knowing we are on top of things it is stressful!

Thanks for the confirmation.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello again,

Ok, you sound like your taking good care of him :) and Yes, baby beardies are quite a handfull.
Could you maybe post some pics of his setup? Also whats his substrate?

Keep up the good work! :)

-HippieLizards.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the flashlight does not work on babies, I'm not sure when it can be considered to be full proof. The first picture shows with no dispute that it's a male as was already pointed out by you + the other poster. Beardies are generally pretty easy to sex from the time they are young if you know how to hold the tail right. :)

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I've tried it on babies, but for me, their tail is too tiny and I have a hard time seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom