Managing Viv Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bweiser18

So I have a 150W bulb which is keeping the basking area great. Always 100-108. For 2 months straight it was keeping it in that range. Today I saw it was 112 and I was a little worried that it was a bit too warm. Today the outside temperature was a little warmer for this winter. It was 65-70 outside. Does that play a role on viv temps? Should I maybe reduce to a 100w bulb come spring and summer months?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the outdoor temperatures do play a role in temperature regulation of the tank.
You could definitely get a little lower wattage to use for the warmer times of the year
so it doesn't get too hot in there for your dragon.
What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You should set your basking spot temperature concervatively, IMO NOT HOTTER THAN 100F.

This gives you safety margin if you get warmer weather (and your home is NOT airconditioned/climate controlled.

If you have a MVB you can't dim it. But other basking globes are dimmable so a very good investment is a dimming thermostat which has a remote temperature probe , set the max temperature and let the dimming thermostat look after adjusting the wattage/ heat output produced by the basking globe.
The remote temperature probe needs to positioned at the basking spot or as close as is practical to the basking spot.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Instead of dealing with switching out bulbs, just get a standard table dimmer, $10-12 and makes everything MUCH easier

Bweiser18

Original Poster
Drache613":149e08bj said:
Hello,

Yes, the outdoor temperatures do play a role in temperature regulation of the tank.
You could definitely get a little lower wattage to use for the warmer times of the year
so it doesn't get too hot in there for your dragon.
What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie
I am using the Heat/Humidity probs from the pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom