Lump In Dragons Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 year old, rescued Dragon, has a bump in his mouth.

When he was found a year ago, they saw this small lump on his mouth, vet said it was a benign tumor. which they didnt tell me during the purchase.

when i brought him in to show how well hes doing, they opened his mouth and said the lump got a lot bigger.

They sold me this wound cleaner that was safe to put in his mouth and said to take him to the vet if it gets bigger.

few days later. I saw yellow behind the lump on his gums. I freaked out and took him to a vet. The vet swabbed him and said there was bacteria, puss, and unknown stuff. They gave him a shot of Baytril. and prescribed these drops used for eyes. but said itll help with his mouth. Gentamicin Sulfate, ophthalmic solution USP 0.3%. apply 1 drop, twice a day, for 10 days.

They told me to come back in 10 days. If its not better. they will test for a tumor. which i wouldnt be able to afford the test, or the treatment.

4 days later, the yellow in his mouth looks alot brighter and seems to be cover his whole right side of the mouth.

Ive grown attached to this little guy. Hes had such a hard life. When he was found, he also had burns and a chewed up tail.

Im not to sure what to do now. Im afraid of
-not being able to control the infection
-infection spreading to his brain
-it being a tumor
-not being able to afford the treatment of a tumor

Note:
Hes in a 75g Tank
with a PowerSun UV bulb.
temps stay between 100-110 on hot side
He will eats his insects
-Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Gaintmeal worms, Hornworms

He wont eat his greens. Ive tried all types. mixed carrots. Tried Superveggie powder. Ive seen him take a little piece but thats it. I slowed down on insect. Ill provide them twice a week. Greens Daily. tip/advice appreciated

Hes just finished a shed on his head.
Hes pooping fine (he pooped on my shoulder-it was amazing)

i let him roam around my room, he'll bask in the sun light that beams down on my bed. ill try to provide pics

First Day of the Lump
97006-9990819068.jpg

First Time Noticing the Yellow and going to the Vet
97006-586456806.jpg

Todays Update (4th day after vet)
97006-5445312299.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor guy, what's his name ? That looks like some type of infection , maybe mouth rot. If you could find out for sure then at least you'd know. Where did the vet give the shot of Baytril, in the mouth or somewhere else ? If he's going to be treated for an infection it would need to be more than one day of antibiotics I would think. You might try something called maxi guard oral rinse.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcREgUaj1Io540f_0Rvvh9-HXb_HaxdeviBb7CIHp1WqFOhi3ozkVbxzMq60yfTRs8Xc-vKaeQU&usqp=CAc

I don't know how much help it would be but it is an inexpensive thing to try. It's good that he's still eating, try making smoothies to get some veggies + extra nutrition in him. You can use any of these good greens....turnip, mustard, collard, kale, endive , also green beans, alfalfa powder, strawberry, raw honey and squash. Someone else may have some suggestions, but I wish you the best possible outcome, I see how much you care +are concerned about him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, it sounds like he has had a hard life, but at least he has you to help him!
I agree, it looks a lot like mouth rot, is it hard or soft in nature? Usually tumors are hard.
It could also just be an abscess but many times those have to be cut out also. Try the raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey to put on it, to see if that helps it out if there is any type
of infection going on.
It is likely going to need to come out of there, soon, if at all possible since it is a tumor of some
type. The longer it goes the deeper it will root itself which will make it harder to remove.
Definitely continue to try & get some nutrition into him, to keep his weight up & his immune
system boosted also.
Did the vet have any type of plan?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

HeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Drache613":3fgos1mh said:
Hello,

Poor guy, it sounds like he has had a hard life, but at least he has you to help him!
I agree, it looks a lot like mouth rot, is it hard or soft in nature? Usually tumors are hard.
It could also just be an abscess but many times those have to be cut out also. Try the raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey to put on it, to see if that helps it out if there is any type
of infection going on.
It is likely going to need to come out of there, soon, if at all possible since it is a tumor of some
type. The longer it goes the deeper it will root itself which will make it harder to remove.
Definitely continue to try & get some nutrition into him, to keep his weight up & his immune
system boosted also.
Did the vet have any type of plan?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

He just wanted me to use the antibiotic drops in his mouth for 10 days. Once 10 days are up. hes going to look over it again to see what the next step would be.

HeroTheDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":22ddvz0j said:
Aw, poor guy, what's his name ? That looks like some type of infection , maybe mouth rot. If you could find out for sure then at least you'd know. Where did the vet give the shot of Baytril, in the mouth or somewhere else ? If he's going to be treated for an infection it would need to be more than one day of antibiotics I would think. You might try something called maxi guard oral rinse.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcREgUaj1Io540f_0Rvvh9-HXb_HaxdeviBb7CIHp1WqFOhi3ozkVbxzMq60yfTRs8Xc-vKaeQU&usqp=CAc

I don't know how much help it would be but it is an inexpensive thing to try. It's good that he's still eating, try making smoothies to get some veggies + extra nutrition in him. You can use any of these good greens....turnip, mustard, collard, kale, endive , also green beans, alfalfa powder, strawberry, raw honey and squash. Someone else may have some suggestions, but I wish you the best possible outcome, I see how much you care +are concerned about him.

they gave antibiotics. which are the drops i mentioned. hey gave the shot on his back.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
It could be cancerous, it could be benign, it could be something else. Vet visit as soon as possible.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Did this vet take a Culture from the lump, and send it off to determine exactly what bacteria and/or fungi is causing the infection, and what Antibiotic or Anti-Fungal would be effective against the particular microbe that is causing the infection? That's your problem.

It looks very much like a bacterial and/or possibly a fungal infection, and it's very, very likely that Baytril and Gentamycin are not the correct antibiotics to treat the infection that is causing the abscess/infection. This is common, they just prescribe broad-spectrum antibiotics will-nilly, without actually doing a Culture/Sensitivity, and then this happens...It's likely that the infection has turned into "Mouth Rot", and now is spreading and killing the tissue that it is spreading through. The vet should have done a Fine-Needle Aspiration from the Abscess itself, not a "swab", as all a "swab" inside the mouth is going to find is many, many types of common bacteria/fungi that live inside the mouth on a regular basis, not the specific microbe that is causing the infection. They must take fluid from the abscess/lump itself and send it out to a lab for a Culture/Sensitivity to determine what microbe is causing the infection and what medication it will be sensitive to. It will not turn out to be one of the bacteria that is commonly found in the mouth or on the skin, which is what the Gentamycin was prescribed for. And Baytril is most-likely worthless for this infection.

At this point you are going to have to take him back to the vet, preferably a different vet, and if he's going to do a Needle Biopsy to send off for pathology of the cells, well, if he does a needle aspiration my guess is that all he's going to find inside that lump is pus anyway...I don't think it's a "Tumor" at all, nor a Cyst, I think it's an Abscess caused by an infection, and now it's gotten so bad that it's spreading and killing the tissue inside his mouth, and without intervention he's going to become Septic. But the bottom-line is that the vet cannot waste anymore time just picking and choosing different broad-spectrum Antibiotics that may or may not be effective against whatever bacteria is causing this infection. He needs to do a simple Needle Aspiration and get some fluid from the Abscess, and send it off for a Culture/Sensitivity ASAP, before he ends-up losing big chunks of tissue from his mouth. This is not your fault, it's the vet's fault, and unfortunately it's not an uncommon situation... :banghead:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he really does need more attention on that area. I am afraid waiting too long, it will
continue to spread. The Baytril may not target it very well due to the type of bacteria. Can
the vet meet sooner than the 10 days, to re-evaluate?
A culture should be done though to help with diagnosis. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom