Dried Calci Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Hello all!
Just have an interesting question and would like some advice from my fellow beardie lovers!

My beardie, Dixie just came out of a very long brumation which scared the crap out of me but thankfully she is fine and the vet said she looks great! Normally while she is in brumation I offer crickets that I get at the petstore and freeze them so they don't escape in the house but she doesn't usually eat them while she's brumating. When she woke up I had a nice omnivore mix that I got at the petstore and she likes that but I wanted to go order her usual staple which is calciworms/reptiworms.

Now, I'm not really bothered by feeding her the live larvae unless I get a bad batch and they are all black and about to pupate because I have had the occasionally scare of opening the container and a giant fly lunging at my face! So, I saw that they are now selling dried calciworms which I guess are made for chickens and birds instead of meal worms but I was wondering if I could feed them to my beardie or would they not have the same value since they are dried? Has anyone tried giving them to their beardie with any success? I already know she loves them so if I could keep a huge bag of them instead of having to order live every 2 weeks that would save me a lot of money.

The two shops selling them are here:
https://www.chubbymealworms.co.uk/collections/dried-calci-worms-1
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Calci-Worms-1-lb-bag__333EN.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLmkp-JaZDcsrp2ymMLgS7KoKtZgrFrlAllGB_SoM-xSsihJNllPDgQaAntkEALw_wcB

They both seem good however I couldn't find a nutrition sheet anywhere on the chubby website and on the exotic nutrition website it says that the fat content is 35% but I know the fat content of live ones is something like 9.5% ?

Hoping someone can help me out or give me some input. Thanks in advanced!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
That product might be OK for chooks and ducks and finches , but not for an insectonivorous dragon.

Waste of money unless you are buying Repashi GRUBPIE which is powdered dried BSFL that you make into a paste or slurry.

Better off staying with live BSFL IMO.

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":ersfehfd said:
That product might be OK for chooks and ducks and finches , but not for an insectonivorous dragon.

Waste of money unless you are buying Repashi GRUBPIE which is powdered dried BSFL that you make into a paste or slurry.

Better off staying with live BSFL IMO.

Well on the chubby website it says:

"A whole variety of animals love the natural goodness in all our 'Chubby' products including wild birds, reptiles, fish, hedgehogs, budgies, sugar gliders and many more. Although you can buy live calci worms, dried calci worms are just as good with the added benefit of easy and long lasting storage. Dried Calci Worms are also a lot better for anyone that is squeamish!"

And they say that the only thing in them is just dried BSFL.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I assume they also have no moisture content or barely any moisture which means feeding these even if they have a good amount of nutrition will end up having your beardie become dehydrated as they get almost all their hydration from their food.

Mostly assuming this as almost anything freeze dried is pretty much useless because of poor nutrition and barely any moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom