Please rate my tank setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swagnar

97462-7865851917.jpg

40 gallon breeder tank
Rear long light fixture is the Reptisun, 30 inch T8
Bulb is Reptisun 10.0 UVB
Dual light fixture is the one that comes with the Zoo.med beginner 20L desert reptile startup, with the original cheap UVB bulb on one side and a 100 watt heat basking bulb on the other,
Dome light on the right is filled with a 150 watt heating coil, that emits no light. Only been setup for about 3 hours, not sure how the consistent temps are, and I'm waiting on a laser probe thermometer before I can get the basking temps dead on, but what glaring mistakes are you guys seeing and what can I do to improve?? Thank you guys in advance.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The t8 needs to be mounted under the screen as the screen blocks a lot of the rays. Is the coil a ceramic heat emitter? Or a uvb? It looks like a nice set up. Just needs a couple of adjustments.

Swagnar

Original Poster
Destiny, I read a lot into the whole UVB going through the screen debate, and I read more than a few people say that as long as I went with the 10.0 UVB instead of the 5.0, then I should be ok, also I'm supplementing that UVB with the basking bulb on the right side of the dual fixture just to make sure.

The Imaginitarium screen lid I got from a Petco for about 20 dollars, and it's great, and the screen mesh is thicker metal, designed to be less dense, it is way more open for light per se than the traditional screen mesh tops.

And yes the heat lamp is a lightless coil ceramic. Thank you for your feedback btw :)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I'd still mount the T8 inside, its a lot weaker than a T5 10.0 and is basically the same strength of a T5 5.0 or near it, probably a tad weaker.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
A T8 plus a screen is not a good combo. I think you’re referring to the T5s when you say that as long as it’s a 10.0 a screen doesn’t matter (T8s are much weaker than T5s whether they’re 10.0s or not). I encourage you to read the lighting guide on this site, which explains why Reptisun T5s and Arcadia tubes are so vital. A T8 could theoretically work in a very low cage, but the basking site would have to be much much closer than with a T5 and if you add a screen into the mix than you’re further filtering out essential UV from a T8 bulb that’s already not even close to the strength of a T5. Another caveat is that T8s deplete much sooner than T5s. In any event a T5 kept at the manufacturer’s recommended distance means you won’t be playing Russian Roulette with whether your beardie is getting adequate UV. I currently have two T5s that are over a year old and a Solarmeter recently showed that they’re still putting out UV at full strength, so these are very high quality lights. Make sure you get a fixture that’s specifically made to accommodate a T5 (a Sunblaster with reflector or the Zoomed terrarium light hoods are among the options). You don’t need a basking bulb with UV (although most compacts actually put out very little UV despite their claims) once you have a Reptisun or Arcadia. And a digital thermometer to measure temperatures is crucial—they need a very specific temperature for basking and without knowing what your temps are you run the risk of placing them in an environment too cold to maintain healthy metabolic functioning or so hot that it proves fatal. You need a temp gun that you can point directly at the basking site (like Zoomed’s) rather than a stick on thermometer on a cage wall, which gives no indication what the surface temperatures are. Temperature and quality UV light are the most critical elements to raising a healthy beardie, so once you make those adjustments you’ll be all set.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Based on what I have read on the subject, the T8 definitely needs to be under the screen. You are losing about half the UVB from the bulb with it over the screen. Even under the screen, basking spot needs to be 6" or so from the bulb and the bright white basking light needs to be along side the UV bulb. I would personally ditch the coil UVB bulb that came in the kit. Too many documented cases of eye problems fro coil bulbs. I use a CHE in my 40 gallon tank too. Otherwise my hot side is not hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom