Beardy not eating crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon recently had an operation on his tail and now wont eat crickets, the operation on wednesday last week and im not sure if he should still not be eating, he'll eat meal worms and kale but no crickets. looking for some advice

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to the forums...

Was it a tail amputation? Not that it matters really what the surgery was. How old is your Dragon?

Is he active now, moving around normally? The fact that he's willing to eat greens and mealworms, just not the crickets, probably means he's bored with crickets. They do go through phases of not eating certain insects.

Did you start feeding him the mealworms before the surgery, or did you just start offering him the mealworms when he stopped eating the crickets? If that's the case, then what has happened is you fed him junkfood (the mealworms) and now that's all he wants, the junkfood. That's very common. I will tell you that you should not be feeding him mealworms on a daily basis, I don't know how old your Dragon is, but if he's under a year old and still eating a lot of live insects every day, feeding him mealworms that often is going to result in bowel problems, along with Fatty Liver Disease. Bearded Dragons bodies are not able to properly digest the hard, chitlin shells that mealworms have, and in addition to the shells causing bowel impactions and obstructions, they contain very little protein and are loaded with fat. So mealworms are basically nothing but fat and hard shell that they cannot digest, and you need to find an appropriate, healthy staple insect to feed him.

As I already said, sometimes when a dragon gets bored with their healthy, staple insects, like crickets, roaches, BSFL, etc. people will immediately start feeding them mealworms, wax worms, or superworms, which are basically junk food and should not be fed as a daily feeder. So what happens is when the owner then tries to feed them the healthy staple feeder again, the dragon goes "Hell with those crickets, I want the junkfood!" I suspect that's what is going on with your dragon.

The only way to remedy this is to completely stop feeding him the mealworms, you cannot keep giving them to him or he'll never get switched back over. So get rid of the mealworms, and just keep giving him his fresh salad every day, and keep offering him the live crickets every day. As long as he's not getting filled-up on the mealworms anymore, eventually he'll start eating the crickets again. That's the first thing you can do, and the easiest.

The second thing you can do is order or buy (if you have a store near you that sells different feeder insects) another healthy, appropriate staple insect, like Dubia Roaches or Phoenix Worms/BSFL. your best bet is always ordering your live insects in bulk online anyway, you can order 1,000 large BSFL/Phoenix Worms for like $24 shipped, and you can get the same amount of Dubia Roaches for much less than that, if you order from www.dubiaroaches.com They have both, and I think they have crickets too, all sizes of all healthy feeders, and dirt cheap. Usually they absolutely love Dubia Roaches or BSFL. So again, completely stop the mealworms and offer him the roaches or the BSFL.

Either way, as long as you completely stop the mealworms and just keep offering him a nice, fresh salad and the crickets, roaches, or BSFL, as long as he's no longer getting the mealworms, he'll eventually get hungry and start eating the healthy bugs.

It's up to you to be strong here, you absolutely cannot give-in and feed him the mealworms when he refuses the crickets, I promise you that he won't starve himself, he may refuse them for a few days or so, but eventually he'll start eating them again. But ONLY if you completely stop the mealworms and he realizes that he's not going to get any more junk food!

The good news is that since he's been eating the mealworms and the greens, that means that he's not still feeling badly from the surgery, he's just gotten spoiled by the junkfood you've been feeding him and he's decided that he'd rather have the mealworms instead of the healthy crickets, you just have to put your foot down...Also, if you could buy some different types of fresh, healthy greens and veggies to mix into his salad, that will also help to get him more interested in eating more salad. Try adding different fresh greens, like Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Escarole, Endive, Bok Choy, Arugula/Rocket, or Swiss Chard. And adding some different veggies and finding out which ones he really likes will also help, such as any type of Squash, like Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Yellow Squash, etc., along with all colors of Bell Pepper, like Red, Green, Orange, or Yellow (NO hot peppers, only the Bell Peppers), along with fresh Green Beans, fresh Peas in the Pod, and a little Broccoli or Carrot.

BeardedUnity11

Original Poster
EllenD":t0mkba5n said:
Hello, welcome to the forums...

Was it a tail amputation? Not that it matters really what the surgery was. How old is your Dragon?

Is he active now, moving around normally? The fact that he's willing to eat greens and mealworms, just not the crickets, probably means he's bored with crickets. They do go through phases of not eating certain insects.

Did you start feeding him the mealworms before the surgery, or did you just start offering him the mealworms when he stopped eating the crickets? If that's the case, then what has happened is you fed him junkfood (the mealworms) and now that's all he wants, the junkfood. That's very common. I will tell you that you should not be feeding him mealworms on a daily basis, I don't know how old your Dragon is, but if he's under a year old and still eating a lot of live insects every day, feeding him mealworms that often is going to result in bowel problems, along with Fatty Liver Disease. Bearded Dragons bodies are not able to properly digest the hard, chitlin shells that mealworms have, and in addition to the shells causing bowel impactions and obstructions, they contain very little protein and are loaded with fat. So mealworms are basically nothing but fat and hard shell that they cannot digest, and you need to find an appropriate, healthy staple insect to feed him.

As I already said, sometimes when a dragon gets bored with their healthy, staple insects, like crickets, roaches, BSFL, etc. people will immediately start feeding them mealworms, wax worms, or superworms, which are basically junk food and should not be fed as a daily feeder. So what happens is when the owner then tries to feed them the healthy staple feeder again, the dragon goes "Hell with those crickets, I want the junkfood!" I suspect that's what is going on with your dragon.

The only way to remedy this is to completely stop feeding him the mealworms, you cannot keep giving them to him or he'll never get switched back over. So get rid of the mealworms, and just keep giving him his fresh salad every day, and keep offering him the live crickets every day. As long as he's not getting filled-up on the mealworms anymore, eventually he'll start eating the crickets again. That's the first thing you can do, and the easiest.

The second thing you can do is order or buy (if you have a store near you that sells different feeder insects) another healthy, appropriate staple insect, like Dubia Roaches or Phoenix Worms/BSFL. your best bet is always ordering your live insects in bulk online anyway, you can order 1,000 large BSFL/Phoenix Worms for like $24 shipped, and you can get the same amount of Dubia Roaches for much less than that, if you order from http://www.dubiaroaches.com They have both, and I think they have crickets too, all sizes of all healthy feeders, and dirt cheap. Usually they absolutely love Dubia Roaches or BSFL. So again, completely stop the mealworms and offer him the roaches or the BSFL.

Either way, as long as you completely stop the mealworms and just keep offering him a nice, fresh salad and the crickets, roaches, or BSFL, as long as he's no longer getting the mealworms, he'll eventually get hungry and start eating the healthy bugs.

It's up to you to be strong here, you absolutely cannot give-in and feed him the mealworms when he refuses the crickets, I promise you that he won't starve himself, he may refuse them for a few days or so, but eventually he'll start eating them again. But ONLY if you completely stop the mealworms and he realizes that he's not going to get any more junk food!

The good news is that since he's been eating the mealworms and the greens, that means that he's not still feeling badly from the surgery, he's just gotten spoiled by the junkfood you've been feeding him and he's decided that he'd rather have the mealworms instead of the healthy crickets, you just have to put your foot down...Also, if you could buy some different types of fresh, healthy greens and veggies to mix into his salad, that will also help to get him more interested in eating more salad. Try adding different fresh greens, like Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Escarole, Endive, Bok Choy, Arugula/Rocket, or Swiss Chard. And adding some different veggies and finding out which ones he really likes will also help, such as any type of Squash, like Butternut Squash, Acorn Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Yellow Squash, etc., along with all colors of Bell Pepper, like Red, Green, Orange, or Yellow (NO hot peppers, only the Bell Peppers), along with fresh Green Beans, fresh Peas in the Pod, and a little Broccoli or Carrot.

He's around seven months old and yes it was a tail surgery since he had gotten tail rot from an improper shed, yes hes moving normally, from one end of the tank to the other and when i get him out hes bombing around the house like he owns the place, ill have to stop giving him mealworms and more veg, it also seems as im reading this hes smiling at me :lol: thanks for the advice too

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, so he's fine as far as the surgery goes, he's just gotten spoiled and hooked on the mealworms. This happens a lot, often they get bored with their crickets or roaches, so the owner goes out and buys a container of mealworms, wax worms, or superworms, and they love them because they are like eating McDonalds. Then when they try to get them to eat the healthy crickets or roaches again the dragon won't touch them because all they want is the junkfood.

At 7 months old he still needs a ton of live insects every day, he's got his really large growth-spurt coming up, and it's very important that he's getting a healthy, staple insect every day that is high in protein and low in fat, and that can easily be digested, and the mealworms are exactly the opposite of that. So yeah, completely stop all of the mealworms and just keep offering him the fresh salads and the crickets, and don't give in and give him any more mealworms, even if he doesn't eat any bugs at all for a few days, that's okay, that's the only way he's going to figure out that the healthy bugs are all he's going to get from now on, and eventually he'll get hungry and give in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad to hear he came through a tail surgery successfully! How much did he lose?
If you can gradually wean him off of the mealworms, he will have a healthier appetite.
As suggested leaner sources of insects are better for him, but it may take a little bit of
time for him to get used to other things. Does he eat any greens on a regular basis?
You can also mix up a variety of worms, like the silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms,
or small superworms in with greens as well to entice him into eating some greens. It
works sometimes, but not always.
He is at the age where most of them want some type of change or just more variety. At
some point he will likely enjoy crickets again, but try a few new things to help out.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EllenD":wvduzkj4 said:
Yeah, so he's fine as far as the surgery goes, he's just gotten spoiled and hooked on the mealworms. This happens a lot, often they get bored with their crickets or roaches, so the owner goes out and buys a container of mealworms, wax worms, or superworms, and they love them because they are like eating McDonalds. Then when they try to get them to eat the healthy crickets or roaches again the dragon won't touch them because all they want is the junkfood.

At 7 months old he still needs a ton of live insects every day, he's got his really large growth-spurt coming up, and it's very important that he's getting a healthy, staple insect every day that is high in protein and low in fat, and that can easily be digested, and the mealworms are exactly the opposite of that. So yeah, completely stop all of the mealworms and just keep offering him the fresh salads and the crickets, and don't give in and give him any more mealworms, even if he doesn't eat any bugs at all for a few days, that's okay, that's the only way he's going to figure out that the healthy bugs are all he's going to get from now on, and eventually he'll get hungry and give in.

I concur : 7 months old , so two meals of live insects per day , as many as he wants per meal.

Your best options for a 7 month old are
>> large BSFL , he can have as many as he wants
>> silkworms , he should be able to handle even large silkworms (very soft and squishy and juicy and highly nutricious)
>> crickets (he should be able to handle medium size (1/3 - 1/2 size)
>> roaches
>> locusts

Mealworms (lavae, pupae and beetles) == occasional treats / bribes
he's too young to hand superworms.

I'm not as hardline / or into tough love when it comes to my pet lizards (all very pampered and spoilt - and they know they have me wrapped around their little fingers) . If he refuses the crickets , give him a worm and immediately follow up with the proper feeder insect of choice .
I've had my skinks and dragons go on strike , usually "no i don't want a cricket or that yucky green leafy stuff , I want a (pupae, a mealworm) so I cave in and give one , and immediately followup with the good tucker , this usually works with my gang.

BeardedUnity11

Original Poster
Drache613":1a94sz96 said:
Hello,

I'm glad to hear he came through a tail surgery successfully! How much did he lose?
If you can gradually wean him off of the mealworms, he will have a healthier appetite.
As suggested leaner sources of insects are better for him, but it may take a little bit of
time for him to get used to other things. Does he eat any greens on a regular basis?
You can also mix up a variety of worms, like the silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms,
or small superworms in with greens as well to entice him into eating some greens. It
works sometimes, but not always.
He is at the age where most of them want some type of change or just more variety. At
some point he will likely enjoy crickets again, but try a few new things to help out.

Tracie

He lost about an inch as he bit it when he got annoyed with it (poor baby :( ) and he loves his greens, especially rocket and kale, never fails to eat them he has them every other day and when he eats them, crickets everyday. i will give him a few days to get back on the crickets, if not ill have to try him on something new.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
LOL, I wasn't trying to be "Tough Love", I'm a big wuss when it comes to my pets. It's just in my experience, if you keep giving them the "treats" then they just keep refusing the healthy bugs. You can do it anyway you want to do it, but if you keep giving him full meals consisting of mealworms, he's not ever going to want anything else. So yeah, tapering him off of them might work, but either way, that's the reason he stopped eating the crickets, because he found something better, lol. Just rest assured that there's nothing wrong with him resulting from the tail surgery, as I got the impression that's what you were worried about. The fact that he's gobbling down mealworms says that his appetite is just fine, lol.

BeardedUnity11

Original Poster
EllenD":2xg5bgpv said:
LOL, I wasn't trying to be "Tough Love", I'm a big wuss when it comes to my pets. It's just in my experience, if you keep giving them the "treats" then they just keep refusing the healthy bugs. You can do it anyway you want to do it, but if you keep giving him full meals consisting of mealworms, he's not ever going to want anything else. So yeah, tapering him off of them might work, but either way, that's the reason he stopped eating the crickets, because he found something better, lol. Just rest assured that there's nothing wrong with him resulting from the tail surgery, as I got the impression that's what you were worried about. The fact that he's gobbling down mealworms says that his appetite is just fine, lol.

Good news! Yesterday he ate crickets again! only 3 but its a start :D

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That's good to hear, just keep giving them to him, he'll come around. He's hungry, lol.

You may want to think about mixing-up his live insect diet and offering him a different healthy, staple insect. A lot of the time when Dragons are fed nothing but crickets from the time that they hatch onward (crickets are by-far the most commonly fed staple insect, simply because they're available at every pet shop in the country), they do get bored with eating them. Mealworms are NOT a healthy staple insect, nor are wax worms, hornworms, butterworms, or superworms, and he's too small to eat any size of superworm anyway, he should be at least 12-14" long before even being fed small superworms, otherwise they cause digestive issues, choking, etc. But you might want to go online and order another live, staple insect cheaply that you can't normally buy in your local petshops. You'll also save a huge amount of money, even if you order your crickets online you'll save a fortune, as no pet shops sell any live insects without making a huge profit, especially crickets.

I have been feeding large BSFL/Phoenix Worms (same thing) for years and years, they are extremely healthy for them, they contain the highest Calcium content of ANY live staple insect, far more than roaches or crickets, and they also contain a ton of hydration for them. And they can handle eating size Large BSFL even as babies because they are soft-bodied worms, so they eat far less Large BSFL than the appropriately sized crickets or roaches. I order my large BSFL from www.dubiaroaches.com and I get 1,000 size large for about $25 shipped (that shows you how much money you save by ordering online, I'm pretty sure you can order 1,000 crickets for like $18 shipped). The other nice thing about BSFL is that they can't escape, they make no noise, they don't stink, and they always eat the entire worm so you don't have pieces of them all over the tank.

You can also go the Dubia Roach route, again, you can buy 1,000 dubia roaches online for under $30, and they are healthy and the Dragons love them...just not my thing...lol. :puke:

I also might order some Silkworm eggs in bulk and try my hand at hatching/growing them on my own, you can order 1,000 Silkworm eggs for around $10, and they are probably the healthiest live staple insect you can feed them, they are just extremely expensive to buy alive and also very hard to find alive, so I might give that a whirl...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful he ate a few crickets then, hopefully, his appetite will pick up more real
soon. You can try bee pollen also, to help boost the appetite & immune system too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom