Big tail problem please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
How's he doing? Did the vet amputate the rest of the infected area?

I hope the vet didn't just let it go and give him antibiotics or something, just because the dead tip fell off by itself doesn't mean anything, that entire area of his tail needs to come off, as it's already too far gone to save, and the infection will only keep spreading up the rest of his tail until he gets very, very sick...

MiChEaL

Original Poster
AHBD":1sov4m5e said:
That's good, the shriveled part always falls off. It's what's going on up beyond underneath that is of concern now. It can be infected before it shrivels so if that's the case then It's best to cut up beyond the area that fell off.

I hope everything goes smoothly !
Thank you I have done some more betadine baths and the black color is so much lighter than what it was before

MiChEaL

Original Poster
EllenD":265xrcc7 said:
How's he doing? Did the vet amputate the rest of the infected area?

I hope the vet didn't just let it go and give him antibiotics or something, just because the dead tip fell off by itself doesn't mean anything, that entire area of his tail needs to come off, as it's already too far gone to save, and the infection will only keep spreading up the rest of his tail until he gets very, very sick...

I'm still waiting to be seen

MiChEaL

Original Poster
The vet did a test on the tip of the tail and said it was caused by an injury, what I'm thinking is a retained shed, and gave me an antibiotic to apply 2 times a day he also said to go back if it gets worse

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, that probably was not the best idea for that vet to do, you need to keep a very close watch on his tail, if you see that blackness come back or spread at all he needs to get back to the vet immediately. Hopefully that won't happen, but Tail Rot is so difficult to clear-up with antibiotics, the blood supply to their tails is not very good, that's why it's so hard to totally get rid of an infection, usually just when you think it's gone it comes roaring back.

Just keep a very, very close eye on the color of his tail, and the minute you see any darkness/blackness come back or spread at all, get him back to the vet ASAP. Hopefully it won't happen...

MiChEaL

Original Poster
EllenD":1xsrftip said:
Oh, that probably was not the best idea for that vet to do, you need to keep a very close watch on his tail, if you see that blackness come back or spread at all he needs to get back to the vet immediately. Hopefully that won't happen, but Tail Rot is so difficult to clear-up with antibiotics, the blood supply to their tails is not very good, that's why it's so hard to totally get rid of an infection, usually just when you think it's gone it comes roaring back.

Just keep a very, very close eye on the color of his tail, and the minute you see any darkness/blackness come back or spread at all, get him back to the vet ASAP. Hopefully it won't happen...

Yes I have been keeping an eye and it hasn't gone up at all or the color so we will see
Thank you guys for all

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That looks really good, seems like it's just a patch of unshed skin left there. In your first posts the lighting made it appear [ to me ] that it was developing an infection up the tail. This looks much better + hopefully won't give you any trouble. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom