Toe healed itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello,
When I first brought Pancake home about two months ago, I noticed that the outermost toes on his two front feet were completely bent backwards, but he still ran around and climbed fine so I assumed it was not a major issue. However, today I noticed that one of his bent toes has fully straightened out, and the other looks a little bit better too. Could the bent toes have been caused by a previous lack in nutrition and/or UVB with his old owner?

If you want pictures of the one that's still a bit bent I can upload pictures tomorrow, Pancake's gone to sleep and I don't want to wake him up lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that it was caused by a rubbery bone that healed itself with proper light and diet or a break that healed up. They're usually able to move about and manage with damaged toes/fingers pretty well if need be.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If you can post photos of his toes so that we know what you're talking about, that would be helpful.

How old was Pancake when you brought him home? Some dragons are hatched with nutritional deficiencies due to their mother's not getting adequate nutrition, UVB, etc. while they are making their eggs, so it's quite possible for a new hatchling to have a Calcium Deficiency or some other health issue, or it could also be a result of acute injuries that happened as a result of him being housed with his siblings at the breeder's house and/or at the pet shop he came from. If the issue is due to a nutritional deficiency or some other condition that is a result of improper husbandry/diet, then yes, it's possible for the problem to reverse itself once the dragon is getting adequate lighting, temps, diet, etc.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
96854-6034677778.jpg
This is the toe that's still bent (don't mind the background lol, he was in his playpen).
Does this one look too far bent to heal? The toe itself is better than what it used to be, but I think I'll have to keep a close eye on the nail to make sure it doesn't cut into him.

I have no idea how old Pancake is, the owner just dumped him on the counter (I work at a pet store) and walked out so I didn't get the chance to ask her any questions. Based on the size of him he looks to be at least a year old.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a bit curled up but doesn't look too bad and shouldn't cause issues. Keep the nail trimmed as you mentioned but otherwise I'd just let it be. There probably isn't much to be done about the curve.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3l18sb4a said:
That's a bit curled up but doesn't look too bad and shouldn't cause issues. Keep the nail trimmed as you mentioned but otherwise I'd just let it be. There probably isn't much to be done about the curve.

His other toe that ended up straightening out looked like that one, but not as severe on the nail part itself, so I just wondered if it would straighten out too. But if not that's fine too.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom