Lamp fell on Kevin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There's something strange going on this morning that I'm freaking out over. Kevin is holding himself in a weird way. His spine is doing an s shape thing and his right side is bloated out.

I will note that he hasn't pooped in 2 days, the last day he did go, he went twice. His appetite has decreased again, but not completely went away. He hasn't gotten any new or different sized feeders & his crickets are actually too small but I use those to avoid any problems right now. I'm pretty sure he's impacted due to not staying under his lights. He has been making it a point to scoot over to the cooler side of his tub, even when the temps aren't even high enough yet. Especially yesterday and so far today.

I'm about to go grab some prune baby food & pumpkin to try to help him out. I can't be sure he's impacted because I'm too afraid to massage his tummy to check in case I hurt his spine. But based on 2 days with no poo & eating less paired with this weird right side bloat I'm pretty sure that's it. Unless his spine is that bad out of whack...

So here's a pic....
96176-7224149084.jpg
It doesn't seem as bad in the pic, but his left side is a little weird like it's pinched but there isn't anything there to be constricting it. His left side is all bloated out. I don't know.

Here's another from tummy side...
96176-7147888355.jpg

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Disregard last post...

I'm not sure if he was impacted or not still, but I did make him some prune & pumpkin. He ate a lot more than I expected & a lot more eagerly. About 30 minutes later, huge poop lol! I'm gonna continue giving him that for the day because he does still have a little bloat going on on his right side, but my gosh it went down a lot!

Figured out what was up with his temps too. The flood light I was using only warmed the area directly under it but the areas surrounding it were the same as all over the tub. So he couldn't get to the edges to get a slightly different temp. Been perfect since & he's been content so isn't scooting away anymore.

Question: can I reuse the prune/pumpkin mixture after it's been heated? I know with babies you can't but idk if it's the same here. That's a lot of food going to waste if I have to remake it. I heated the entire mixture & he only took about half an eye dropper full.

Also, I agree that it's to early to try to exercise him. I get a little eager when his improvement plateaus & want to encourage more. But today is the 1 month anniversary since he got hurt. It's definitely too soon. The 1st vet would still have him in the splint 2 more weeks. It seems like it's been so much longer than a month. I need to just relax & let him do his thing. I really want him more independent by the time I have the baby. 3wks til my due date. I worry so much about him already if I'm not with him. I have a Dr appt today & I'm already stressed about leaving him alone lol. But he hasn't flipped anymore so I suppose it's time to start weaning him from my watchful eye ??...

Thank you both for telling me I'm doing a good job. It's very hard to feel that way, knowing we wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for me. But I am trying really hard & want him to have the best life possible. And it means a lot when 2 super experienced people tell me I'm doing good. At least if anything goes south unexpectedly, I'll know I did all I could for him. So thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've been out all morning + never saw your post anyway so its been duly disregarded. :) The " laxative" mixture doesn't need to be heated itself, just add a bit of hot water to it so it's warmed up that way, only the amount you use. And it probably wouldn't be harmful to use it again on an animal , they are not like us. Glad to hear that he got his little plumbing going again anyway !

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3iaali2x said:
I've been out all morning + never saw your post anyway so its been duly disregarded. :) The " laxative" mixture doesn't need to be heated itself, just add a bit of hot water to it so it's warmed up that way, only the amount you use. And it probably wouldn't be harmful to use it again on an animal , they are not like us. Glad to hear that he got his little plumbing going again anyway !

I was wondering where you were! I'm used to Tracie posting during the night but you are usually quick!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi --
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while and missed several pages of this thread, but I'm glad you've been getting good advice from Tracie and AHBD and others -- way better than I could have done anyway.

One thing I notice from the pictures is that Kevin does not appear to be in any pain -- his beard and his underbelly are a nice light color, so that could be a good sign. And I guess Tracie already said that -- I haven't had a chance to read everything I missed.

It's probably well past time to forgive yourself for dropping the lamp. It was an accident. Every beardie should be so lucky as to have a "mom" like you who obviously cares so much about him, especially with a human baby on the way too. I hope that goes well for you. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Starla,

How is little Kevin this evening, after his ordeal this afternoon? He must have really been
blocked up then, poor thing!
Did his back straighten out any after he went to the bathroom?
That is a good idea to feed smaller prey for him, just so he doesn't have any problems with
digesting.
That's excellent he hasn't flipped himself over recently. I hope he will adjust well when the
baby comes. Are you going to be able to spend time with him daly also, after the baby?
It sounds like he is doing pretty well, getting himself around a bit more now.
Try not to blame yourself though, accidents happen & you are doing everything in your power
to get him better! He is improving, slowly so that is what counts. They heal slowly. It does
seem like it's been longer than it has.
Bless him!

Tracie

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't think we've solved the bathroom issues quite yet. He didn't go at all yesterday & hasn't so far today either. Also can't get him to eat the laxative. I hate forcing anything on him but if he doesn't take it by dinnertime, I'm gonna have to.

I will still be able to spend time with him after the baby comes. Just not like I do now obviously. Right now it's just me & him here all day so I tend to hover a little. Once the baby comes, I'll have to cut out time, maybe during naps to spend time with him but his routine won't change. I know it'll be hard at 1st but we'll figure it out. Only part I'm worried about is while I'm in the hospital. I've asked my husband to take trips him to feed him. His lights will be on a timer. So he should be fine.

He really seems to have stopped improving & I hate it. I'm a little worried that this is the best he's gonna get. Still doesn't use any arms or legs. But he looks content for the most part. Only time he goes black beard is when he doesn't like his temp & has to move. Hopefully it is just a slow process.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What were the last type + size of bugs he was eating ? Make sure everything's on the small side. And try adding a few drops of raw honey to his " laxatives", most beardies like it. :)

I almost forgot about your pregnancy, try not to get too stressed. It's not uncommon that in his condition he might not poo everyday. Take care of yourself + your daughter, be strong mom !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Starla,

Poor Kevin, I know it is frustrating!
I really hope that he will continue to improve, even if it is slow right now. Be sure the
bugs are small & easy to digest for him so that he can pass them through better. The
raw honey does help out a lot.
It is a good sign his beard isn't black often at all. Has his mobility gotten any better?
I hope he keeps on trying, he deserves to get better. I'm sure you will figure out your
schedule once the baby comes, too.

Tracie

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's only been eating the small crickets. And small is an understatement! They're tiny! I often accidently squish them trying to catch them lol! I have given him hornworms here & there & they are small compared to the huge ones in my cup, maybe 1 1/2in. He actually just had his last one thats small enough yesterday. The others are between 2-4in, maybe bigger. So they are now my daughters pets lol. So maybe that's the culprit. I honestly don't think so tho cause they're so squishy.

We did have something new happen just now. He wouldn't eat any laxative last night, or anything else. I got him to eat one cricket this morning but he wouldn't take more so I sat down with him & pretty much made him eat the laxative by pulling his beard down on the side & squirting some in there. That's what I've had to do in the past & with his meds. He has never fought or struggled. Well this time I had one little pissed off beardie on my hands! He was flailing & struggling to get free! All of which was ok cause I know I wasn't hurting him or squirting too much. I basically just rub the tip of the dropper in his gumline to get him smacking then drip it on his snout while he smacks. He never went black beard but he did puff his beard up at me & give me go to hell looks! Lol! I've never seen him get so mad at me. That struggling & flailing was such a good feeling. I hate it cause I know he didn't like what was going on, I was torturing him. But at the same time that's the most movement he's done in so long! He does scoot around his tank but not unless he absolutely has to. He even pushed up a little with his elbows while I was walking him back to his house. He was so mad at me. ?

I hate it for him but hes gonna get it again at lunch if he don't eat then. I'm gonna make him some chicken & butternut squash with a little pumpkin in it. He needs some protein & fat. His arms & legs have lost most of their muscle mass through this. And I think I seen his fat pads were sunken in a little when I first woke him up this morning. So he's in for a day of feeding & watering whether he wants it or not. I'm gonna weigh him in a little while cause I'll bet he has lost weight also. I don't think we are to emergency freak out stage yet, but we're not going there either.

Time to be mean! ??

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Holy cow, you guys... Kevin just pooped the largest poop I have ever seen come out of his little body! I have no idea how all that was sitting in him. No joke, it was nearly the size of his whole belly! Nothing looked off about it other than the size. And I think I noticed "hornworm features" in it. Poor guy. I like the hornworms because he would always eat them & getting hydration at the same time but that was too scary. No more of those for a while. I freaked out a little at the size.

His serrapeptase, honey & cherry powder came too! And my gosh that serrapeptase smelled delicious! Banana. He slurped it right up lol.

Apparently the prune & pumpkin mixture is a gift from the beardie gods. If I can get him to take any, he poops within an hour. Definitely gonna have to keep that stuff on hand. I'm still gonna give him more just in case but I really don't think there could possibly be anymore poo in there lol.

I bet he eats at lunchtime lol

P.S... I took a pic of the gigantic poo if anyone wants to take a gander. It was crazy huge lol. I took one of it beside his temp probe because it was right beside it anyway (as big as the probe) & one with him beside it to show his belly size in comparison lmao.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
We are the only sane people on the internet that talk about the amount, the frequency, the consistency + the smell of poo more than a gastroenterologist. Please feel free to post poo pics !

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: :laughhard:
Glad to hear that everything "came out ok" (pun intended) :mrgreen:
Also glad to hear that you got him some meds that he actually seems to like the taste of. That should make things a little easier for both of you. :)

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1y3c9lyk said:
We are the only sane people on the internet that talk about the amount, the frequency, the consistency + the smell of poo more than a gastroenterologist. Please feel free to post poo pics !

Poo pics coming right up!

96176-4921914637.jpg
96176-9605214335.jpg

That's a huge poo from such a small thing! I remember the 1st time he pooped I was shocked how big it was. It was normal sized tho & always been that size. This is at least 3x bigger!

He still wouldn't eat any crickets for lunch. I'll give him another chance at dinner time then it's on to baby food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom