Dragon didn’t poo for 11 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyDovers

I’ve recently got a bearded dragon. She’s 4 years old and never had any health problems. I recieved her from someone who’s had her since she was a baby 11 days ago. I thought she was getting nicely settled in but realised she hadn’t gone to the toilet, I came home from work to, thankfully, found out she had gone (looks like it was everything that’s been building up!) is she okay? Is this just where she was stressed from the move? I’ve been feeding her the amount I believe she needs to be fed (from talking to previous owner and pet stores).
Any help would be appreciated :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forums! Thank you for taking this Dragon in, and they do worry us, trust me this won't be the last time something worries you, lol. They are like our little children, lol.

It's not unusual for Beardies, especially older adults, to go quite a while between bowel movements, I typically don't get at all excited until the 10 day mark, but even up to 14 days isn't necessarily a problem at all. However, it's possible that her diet may not be adequate for her, or that there is some other Husbandry issue going on that is causing her to be a little impacted. I know you're new to Dragons and you've only had her for a very short period of time, and you probably have the same lighting/thermometer/tank/etc. that the previous owner used, so it might be a good idea to post a photo of her and her entire enclosure and lights so we can catch any red-flags that may be potential problems, so feel free to do that, and then list what UVB light she has, and what type of thermometer you are using to set up her temperature gradient.

Also, if there is any type of loose-substrate inside her tank/enclosure, such as any type of sand, crushed walnut shells, wood chips, bark, coco fiber, soil, seeds, bedding, etc. then that will certainly almost always cause impactions, as well as harbor and breed bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc. And since Dragons are prone to Upper Respiratory Infections, Skin/Scale Infections, Eye Infections, etc. and because they also lick EVERYTHING all the time, it's a good idea to dump out any loose substrates, completely disinfect the tank and all the decor/bowls inside it, and then just put down paper towels or newspaper as a temporary solid substrate, until you can choose a permanent solid substrate, such as textured, slate tile from Lowes (easy to spot-clean and keeps their toenails trim), Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner, Reptile Carpeting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom