Help on best feeder insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camhabit

Hello all, I am 16 and have had my newly adopted beardie (2yr old) for about 1 month now. All is going great, except my parent not budging on allowing me to have Dubia roaches. And crickets are just so loud and stinky. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best WORM staple feeder, and maybe where to buy them?

Thanks.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Phoenix/repti worms are the best worm staple. Superworms can work if you're beardy is not growing at a rapid pace anymore. Some say superworms as a staple is asking for fatty liver disease but Josh's frogs and users on this forum like me say their fine(as staples)and do use them as staples. With a growing beardy, superworms can't work as the beardy would get too much fat when he or she is attempting to get enough protein.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since your dragon is an adult, he should be eating mostly a wide variety of veges. I would offer a salad every day and rotate based on what looks fresh at the store. I like to include 2-3 items from this list in salads. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I would also offer as much variety as you can in terms of bugs. He will only need a bug meal once or twice per week (with some snacks thrown in now and then if he's good about eating his veges) Superworms are fine to include as long as you don't overdo it. Black soldier fly larvae, silk worms, and hornworms are also good to rotate in as you can get them.

Camhabit

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies! She has trouble eating her veggies and is pretty stubborn..but she LOVES her super worms Lol! Thank you guys for your advice, super worms are a lot easier, and I am preparing to start breeding them right now :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah silks tend to be seasonal or at least cyclical. Check again in a few weeks and some might be available. You can also buy eggs and raise them yourself but they aren't the easiest feeders to raise, especially if you don't have access to fresh mulberry leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom