T5 light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me if I can use a t5 grow-light fixture for my t5 HO repti sun 22”? I cannot find any other fixtures suitable for mounting under the screen. I’m going crazy! Lol thanks anyone!!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
You can technically use any fixture that fits the bulb, so yes, if it has the right wattage and such, I see no problem

ryknoll3

I bought the Sunblaster 22" t5 fixture from Amazon. Comes with a reflector and hardware for mounting. Works great!

Lisamariefr

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something that might mean it wouldn’t work. I have just enough info to make me confused about fluorescence. LOL

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah most of the T5 fixtures are built for grow lights. Models with a good reflector (such as the Sunblaster) work quite well with the UVB tubes. Just need to use the proper size for the fixture (22'' T5 bulb for a 24'' fixture etc).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is right, most of the T5 light fixtures should be universal which is really nice!
Your dragon is going to love the T5 light you got for him.

Tracie

Lisamariefr

Original Poster
So, I got my Dartamien’s t5 slim fuxture and t5 HO 10.0 Zoomed bulb. I installed them under the mesh top where he other lighYa sit. Then, I realized the fixture doesn’t have a reflector! I had a tin one from an old light set up that I stuck under the fixture, over the bulb. Doesn’t seem to be doing too much so I put her MVB back too, over her basking spot. Question: at 12” on top of her basking spot, will she be getting too much uvb? This is all so confusing and now, to top it off, she is on 4 days of Panacur for pinworms, so she is not liking me too much now. Even looks like she will be starting yet another shed soon on her head and legs!! Poor thing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
12'' is a bit far for a T5 without a reflector. The plain bulb would need to be more around 6-8'' up to provide effective UVB. It's probably best to get a reflector for it. Which fixture did you wind up getting? You can often buy a reflector separately to fit over the bulb.

Lisamariefr

Original Poster
I ended up with a fixture that has no reflector — don’t recall the name of it. I am going to try making a reflector with cardboard and reflective tape. I don’t think she is doing well at all. Her head and front legs are whitish and she is so sluggish. She is not eating well and she seems to not like me anymore. She will eat a few crickets and then freeze, as if in another world. I bought some repti boost to give her. She was fine until she came home from vet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think that reflector will be polished enough to be very helpful. A high quality reflector makes a big difference.

If her head and feet are white, it sounds like she might be shedding which would affect mood and appetite. Can you post some photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom