Preserving Baby beardie veggies so they don't go bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any advice on how to buy or keep veggies the longest for a baby beardie. I'm finding that the quanity in which the veggies/ leafy greens are sold at the store (usually in a large bundle)versus what our baby will actually eat (he's picky) results in a lot of money spent and a lot of waste because they've gone bad and need to be thrown away. Has anyone tried freezing any of it to make it last longer, or is that not recommended.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardielife17":1mpz04g0 said:
Does anyone have any advice on how to buy or keep veggies the longest for a baby beardie. I'm finding that the quanity in which the veggies/ leafy greens are sold at the store (usually in a large bundle)versus what our baby will actually eat (he's picky) results in a lot of money spent and a lot of waste because they've gone bad and need to be thrown away. Has anyone tried freezing any of it to make it last longer, or is that not recommended.

Do you have food processor / blender with grating attachments and some large icecube maker trays ?

My recipy is
1 C frozen green beans
1 C frozen green peas
1/2 a large peeled sweet potato
4 large peeled carrots
3 large washed roughly chopped buk choi or puk choi

Insert the chopping blade , insert the grating disk with the course grating blade attached.
Grate the carrots and sweet potato and mix together using the food processor.
Remove the grating disk
drop in the beans and peas and the coarsely chopped choi and pulse til all is chopped and mixed together .

Spoon the mix into icecube trays and freeze.

You can then remove an icecube or two depending on the size of the cubes and the dragon and thaw to give to dragon , I'd mix softened RepCal juvenile bearded dragon pellets each day .

My recipy makes 24 cubes in my icecube trays.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The freezing in ice cube trays method is a good one. If you prefer to keep them fresh, perhaps so you can share them, I've found a way to keep them fresh for a while. I cut out the stems (those go to the bugs) and then put the leaves in a quart ziploc bag with a piece of paper towel. I push the air out and put that in the fridge. I can often keep greens crispy for several weeks that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom