Starving beardie

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Starving beardie

Postby pikachuomg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:35 am

I was on Craigslist looking at some bearded dragons. I sometimes like to do this for some cheap accessories people sell.
Anyways I saw one person selling their bearded dragon for $180.. The pictures of this poor beardie was absolutely heartbreaking.. This poor thing was in, what looked like, a 10 or 20 gallon with no substrate and one peice of driftwood. However, the saddest part was the lifeless looking malnourished bearded dragon. Seriously, you could see this poor little guy's bones throughout it's tail and his hipebones, frail skinny legs, and no head fat pads. I have never seen a beardie look this bad..
I am just so heartbroken, I haven't been able to stop looking at the picture since i saw it yesterday.. This has been plaguing my mind! What should I do?? I can't take another I simply don't have the funds or space for another beardie. I seriously don't know what to do..
pikachuomg
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Starving beardie

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 am

pikachuomg wrote:I was on Craigslist looking at some bearded dragons. I sometimes like to do this for some cheap accessories people sell.
Anyways I saw one person selling their bearded dragon for $180.. The pictures of this poor beardie was absolutely heartbreaking.. This poor thing was in, what looked like, a 10 or 20 gallon with no substrate and one peice of driftwood. However, the saddest part was the lifeless looking malnourished bearded dragon. Seriously, you could see this poor little guy's bones throughout it's tail and his hipebones, frail skinny legs, and no head fat pads. I have never seen a beardie look this bad..
I am just so heartbroken, I haven't been able to stop looking at the picture since i saw it yesterday.. This has been plaguing my mind! What should I do?? I can't take another I simply don't have the funds or space for another beardie. I seriously don't know what to do..

Post the URL or photos of the unfortunate dragon else this didn't happen.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby AHBD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 am

Hi Pika, it's nice of you to care about the poor thing, those kinds of pics are always heart breaking. :( it is very sad to see things like that, unfortunately this kind of thing happens everywhere. Maybe if you post it here someone in that area can rescue it. Whatever you do, don't go off on the people, they may do something to get rid of it if people point out what horrible owners they are, etc.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby JessPets » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 am

I know, I too have come across such posts while scouring craigslist. It makes me honestly wonder. People will say "One Healthy Bearded Dragon..." and I think, do they REALLY believe that? To me, there is no way any decent person would look at such an animal and say, "Yep, that is definitely a healthy, well taken care of beardie." It makes me really mad sometimes, but since I am unable to take in another animal at this time, I can't really say anything :cry:
[Click image to enlarge]
JessPets
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby pikachuomg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/f ... 37973.html

Yeah.. I am so tempted to message them and tell them their beardie is severely malnourished, and they need to do right by that poor thing! 😭 My heart seriously can't take looking at this photo..

How can a sane person seriously be asking 180 for this poor guy?? 😭😭 I want to take him so freaking bad!
I think the person still end up giving it for free at the end though cuz it needs to go "ASAP"

I really hope one of you good hearted beardie lovers can rescue this poor little guy. 💔
pikachuomg
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am

Poor thing, doesn't have much longer in that condition. :( It says best offer so if someone could offer a bare minimum they might be able to nurse him back possibly, but it would take some time.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby JessPets » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

This is absolutely horrific. Are there any reptile rescues you could contact, to see if they could take it?? Like AHBD mentioned, this guy isn't going to last too much longer, he needs help NOW.
[Click image to enlarge]
JessPets
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby pikachuomg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I know of star eco station, im currently talking to somebody about if I could take the beardie there..
I'm thinking I could buy that beardie for very cheap I can take it over there. 😟
poor little guy.. How could somebody do this to a living creature..?
pikachuomg
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Hello,

Wow, that is very sad indeed!
I don't understand how anyone could think he was in any type of decent condition. How
sad, I really hope someone can take him in to get him out of that situation as soon as
possible!
Unfortunately, this happens all of the time, too. :cry:

Tracie
Drache613

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Sarah might have a contact in that area. It is probably worth checking with her. https://www.facebook.com/sarahsbeardeddragonrescue/
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 pm

That dragon has been neglected for a very long time .... it needs to be surrendered to a reptile rescuer , the seller is kidding themself and I can't see how anyone will give them $180 for a dragon in such an emaciated and poor state.
Looks to me like they have not bothered to feed it for a very long time - I'd say several months , IMO this is animal abuse and extreme cruelty..
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion