Dead or coma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My Bearded Dragon Lady has been acting weirdly since the first of the year. Lethargic, sleeping a lot, and not eating no matter what I try. I suspected brumation, but now things have gotten even worse. Lady is, I presume to be, not longer living. All websites I've read say that if they are dead that their eyes will be rolled back or caved in, however, Lady's eyes still have clearly visible pupils and eyes are not caved in. He also is not stiff at all, legs and toes not stiff and belly not stiff. His beard is black, and he is still warm. I can't find any signs of breathing, and have tried for a heartbeat and I (although I may be paranoid in my frantic attempts) feel like I felt a heart beat. My beardie's tank has had the right temp and I've been misting him so he is not dehydrated.

Yesterday I made a very fast run to the store because his light went out. When I found him, he was very cold. I very quickly gave him a warm bath and he woke up, beard black, and wouldn't move no matter what. When I put him back in his tank, he only wriggled and squirmed to get under his cave, did not walk or crawl. He has had a new light since then.

My Petsmart's Banfield pet hospital is closed right now and I am frantic to find an answer. Is he dead? Is he in a coma? Is this some sort of serious hibernation/brumation. He is not responsive at all. His belly is not stiff either so it can't be impaction. I have many regrets because he may have had a parasite or something if he is dead.

Paralyzed? Coma? Dead? How do effectively I check for a pulse?

I really need help and am hoping for a fast response, please, anyone!

Thank you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Leave him in his tank overnight (right way up) .... if he's dead , the blood will pool and his eyes will become sunken and he'll likely become quite stiff in the tail and limbs.

Any vet can check an unresponsive animal for signs of life using a portable Doppler ultra sound , needs not be a reptile vet.
If he's asleep or has a very very slow metabolism cause he's been allowed to become very cool, he'll be very limp and unresponsive , warming him up will likely wake him up and make him responsive.

RileySheffer

Original Poster
He is a male. I also gave him a warm bath right after I found him cold yesterday and he woke up. His death or coma happened (or at least I found him like it) a few hours ago. He is not cold now and like I said earlier, not waking up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a pretty boy. Just leave the lights off tonight, if he is dead you don't want the heat to accelerate decomposition. So there was no movement when he was on his back ? Try it again tomorrow and then flip him over from a couple of times.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, what a+ big beautiful boy.... I am so sorry about your dragon, it is very hard to tell by
those pictures. :cry:
Let us know how things are looking tomorrow.

Tracie

RileySheffer

Original Poster
Thank you all for your support.

I checked Lady this morning and found him the same as he was last night. Upon inspecting him, he is undoubtedly passed on. He is stiff, lost a bit of his warmth, however his eyes had not caved in.

He had a good life. I plan to either cremate or bury him when I get home tonight (despite the frozen ground here).

Once again thank you all so much for your continuous support in this tough time. I’d like to think he’s hanging out with his brother now swimming around, basking, and eating all of the carrots and super worms that he loved so much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost your girl, Lady. :cry: It seemed like it was sudden, too.
My sincere condolences.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom