Baby beardie not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy123

I’ve had my beardie for almost 3 months, and he hasn’t grown yet. I’ve had a reptisun t5 10.0 on him for about 5 days. I listened to the pet store employees and had a compact on him before. Should he have grown by now? Or will 5 days not show that much of a difference? The temp on the warm side varies between 100-105, the cool side is 80. He eats about 12 crickets a day. I don’t have colored lights on him. Should I start giving him calcium with d3 also?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Rudy, he'll need more than 12 crix a day, try doubling or tripling that amount but break his meals in to 2-3 times a day. Now that he has a good bulb his appetite should pick up and you can use the calcium without D3 5 times a week, calcium with D3 just 1-2 times a week. Vitamin 1-2 X a week as well, but only lightly dusted with any of those supplements. Can you post pics of the baby + his set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, it's going to take longer under the T5 10.0 UVB tube and a lot more live insect protein every single day for him to start growing, he has some catching up to do from being under that compact UVB light for the first 3 months, but the good news is that they continue to grow up through their first year and continue until they are around 2 years old. That T5HO 10.0 UVB tube is one of the best he could be under, so his appetite and his energy levels should start to pick up dramatically very soon, but it does take time.

If he's around 4 or so months old, then as AHBD already mentioned he needs 2-3 live insect feeding sessions every single day, each one lasting 10-15 minutes, where he's allowed to eat as many live insects as he wants to. 12 crickets a day is a fraction of what he will want to be eating soon now that he's getting good UVB and UVA light. I suggest that you start ordering your crickets, roaches, or BSFL/Phoenix Worms online in bulk, from a place like www.dubiaroaches.com (they are cheap and have all of the staple insects that I listed), as you need to figure that he's going to need to be eating around 40 or more live insects (smaller than the space between his eyes) every single day. So you'll save a fortune on crickets, most people with dragons don't buy their live insects in pet shops as it's extremely expensive. He's going to need to be fed this amount of live insects until he's around a year old in order for him to grow properly.

I use Phoenix Worms/BSFL as my live staple insect, size large you can feed to even a baby because they are soft-bodied and they also provide a good source of hydration. I order 1,000 size large per month from www.dubiaroaches.com for about $23, and that is now feeding one 7 month old and one year old who is now eating more greens/veggies than insects. Figure at least 500 for one juvenile dragon every month, same with small or medium crickets. And if you gut-load your insects with the same greens and veggies you feed your dragon that will also help with hydration.

It is just going to take some time for him to catch up. 5 days under a new UVB tube isn't quite enough to make a huge difference...just in case though, you said you have the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube, correct? And it's what length, 22"? Is it at least within 10" of his basking spot? It's okay for the 10.0 T5HO tube to sit on top of the mesh as long as it's within 10" or so of his basking spot/platform...Also, make sure you have both the new UVB tube and his bright-white colored Basking Bulb right alongside each other, both over the Hot Side of the tank, sharing the top of the Hot Side of the tank, with his basking spot/platform directly underneath both lights. And both lights should be on for at least 13-14 hours a day...

Rudy123

Original Poster
Yeah, that’s the bulb I’m using. I think he’s going to finish his shed within the next couple of days, so that might be why he isn’t eating that much. His basking spot is within 10” of the bulb. I can’t order crickets right now because it’s really cold where I live so I just have to go to the pet store for right now ?. I’m going to a pet store tomorrow, so I can definitely get him some Phoenix worms. Thank you for the replies!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Shedding will definitely slow down their appetite! It is a great sign though, that he is
shedding.
I don't think it will be too long until you see a noticeable difference in growth, as soon
as he is eating more. The T5 UVB light you have will help him out immensely.
Try to be patient, he should grow at a good rate here real soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom