Poop Questions **Warning Picture Included**

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are new to the BD world, we have owned Mushu since Christmas. When we first got him he was eating BD pellet food and live crickets. He is around 12 months old and 14in long.

His diet now consist of:
Turnip Greens and Papaya this week
Live crickets in the evening
I do live pellet food in a dish as extra food

I try to switch it up between collard greens, asparagus, bell pepper, papaya, apples. Those seem to be his faves.

When we first got him the urate was more solid. We normally bathe him daily since he prefers not to poo in his cage and he loves bath time. Does this look normal to you?
96414-1081441404.jpg
96414-5711206114.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy. I'm glad you're rotating his food and giving him lots of variety. This is a good list to reference for more ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html but just keep picking up what looks fresh at the store when you go. That poop looks a little mushy but not too bad really. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Maybe just an upset stomach. If it gets more mushy or continues to not look as it usually does for a few weeks it might be worth having it tested for parasites but my guess it's just a temporary upset stomach which should clear up on it's own. Maybe reduce the fruit which can sometimes not sit well with them.

svickers78

Original Poster
Since I have changed his diet to fresh greens and fruit that is normally what it looks like. I did notice when he didn't have fruit for a couple of days it was more firm and it was floating in the tub. I have been feeding him papaya everyday this week since it was listed as a staple fruit so should I change it up to just greens and fruit as a treat a few times a week instead of daily? Is bathing him every day over hydrating him?

What about the urate not fully formed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Then it's most likely just the fruit and excess water in the diet and nothing to be too alarmed about. I would try to offer mostly greens and veges. Squash is a favorite with my dragon. I try to keep the fruit to an occasional treat and salad topper. Baths are fine and he won't get too much hydration from them. He'll drink what he wants if at all. If baths are stressful though, they aren't worthwhile and should be reserved for only if they get stinky or dirty.

svickers78

Original Poster
He loves the bath, most of the time he just sits there and nods off like he is so relax. Then he will poo. So that is why we bathe him almost every day.

He won't eat squash, haven't tried yellow squash. So far turnip greens, asparagus, and bell peppers are his faves. I have been switching out the turnip greens and collard greens when they run out. I haven't been able to find mustard greens though. I have only tried green beans once and he was ok with them, didn't gobble them up. Any more greens or veggies any one suggest? I am going to lay off the fruit and see if it changes.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are usually the hits in this house. They all have their preferences though so just keep trying some stuff and see what he likes best as you've been doing. Keep in mind he may hate something one day and then like it a month or two down the line so don't give up completely if something gets turned down. Just offer as much variety as you can and let him take what he wants.

svickers78

Original Poster
We have only tried butternut squash, is yellow squash ok? I just hate buying such large amounts and it going to waste. Like the papaya.... That thing was huge with would take him a year to eat all of that. Most of the squash is large amounts too, wish there was a way to buy smaller sizes. I guess we are just going to have to start eating squash lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I use both yellow and green/zucchini squash regularly. I cut them into circles then slice the circles into worm shapes that go on top of the salad. The roach colony quickly dispatches the leftovers if any. We also eat a fair bit of squash. I just put two green squashes cut up into a curry last night and it was pretty delicious =).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'd restrict the fruit to only once or twice a week, the problem is that it's full of sugar, a lot of sugar. His poop is just "well-hydrated", lol, because of the excess fluid in the fruit. Again, that's the problem with fruit, there's little "nutrition" in it, it's basically water (which is good) and sugar (which is bad).

As far as adequate, appropriate greens, they include Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, Dandelion Greens, Arugula/Rocket, Endive, Escarole, Bok Choy and Pak Choy, Swiss Chard, and even a bit of Cilantro.

Veggies include all of the Bell Peppers, Green Beans, Peas and Pea Pods (my guys all LOVE fresh peas), all types of squash including Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti (they love this too), yellow, green/zucchini, and then a little broccoli (they love this too), a little carrot, and pretty much any other fresh veggie you see except for Avocados and no spicy peppers.

svickers78

Original Poster
I got some yellow squash today to try and a little bit of broccoli.

Won't eat butternut squash, carrots he doesn't like and the one time he ate them it gave very runny stool. So we stay away from carrots now. I'm going to try green beans and sugar snap peas to see how he likes those. I didn't realize the fruit contained so much water. He loves the turnip greens, will eat collard, and mustard is next to try. I just haven't found them at the store. I wanted to try the dandelion leafs and alfalfa but I can't find it at the local chain stores so I may drive out to Whole Foods to see if they carry it. I am just going to limit the fruits to twice a week instead of daily. I was just trying to give him a variety of different things to eat daily but I will treat those as special snacks instead.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dandelion greens tend to be more readily available in the spring and early summer. I've had good luck offering green beans. I just wash them then chop them into small pieces that are easy to pick up. They are a bit crunchy which they seem to like. The relatively crunchy texture may also help dental and gum health to an extent, the way hard shelled bugs can.

svickers78

Original Poster
Great! Thanks so much for the advice and I'm glad everything looks pretty normal just need to tweak his diet some. I love this site! Everyone is so helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom