Beardie in distress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Have you tried arugula yet, ours seem to love it!
They do tend to change their preferences over time so you might be able to find
some other options for greens.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dravyn17":kjd1illx said:
Wow!
i will find out what reptisun I have (I know it's in a red box and has 18" on the top in a yellow box but I can't remember what it said) also her 150 watt basking light is from zoo med? I believe it said it delivers UVB, that is on her hot side in a dual dome with the red bulb (now and forever off) along side a 100 watt CHE with a dimmer and a reflective coating inside.
A white basking bulb would not produce UVB unless it was a mercury vapor bulb which is considered a 2 in 1 bulb BUT a Daylight heat bulb does produce UVA, which promotes breeding and natural behaviors in reptiles and amphibians. The fluorescent tube you're using is what produces UVB to prevent metabolic bone disease and other health issues so both of those bulbs are a necessity. Hope that helps clarify a little.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
diamc":f388k3fh said:
Dravyn17":f388k3fh said:
Wow!
i will find out what reptisun I have (I know it's in a red box and has 18" on the top in a yellow box but I can't remember what it said) also her 150 watt basking light is from zoo med? I believe it said it delivers UVB, that is on her hot side in a dual dome with the red bulb (now and forever off) along side a 100 watt CHE with a dimmer and a reflective coating inside.
A white basking bulb would not produce UVB unless it was a mercury vapor bulb which is considered a 2 in 1 bulb BUT a Daylight heat bulb does produce UVA, which promotes breeding and natural behaviors in reptiles and amphibians. The fluorescent tube you're using is what produces UVB to prevent metabolic bone disease and other health issues so both of those bulbs are a necessity. Hope that helps clarify a little.

Just be make it very clear
Metal Halide globes produce heat + white / yellowish light + UVA + UVB (BUT ARE PRICEY).

Mercury vapour globes produce heat + white / yellowish light + UVA + UVB ( BUT CAN'T BE DIMMED)

Halogen globes produce heat + white light + UVA (some).

Neodymium basking globes produce heat + white / yellowish light + UVA BUT ZERO UVB.

Compact UVB globes produce white light + UVA + UVB and a small amount of heat.

T10 & T8 and T5HO UVB globes produce white light + UVA + UVB and a small amount of heat.

There are other options such as domestic par38 incandescent spot globes and domestic halogen globes , these produce light and heat BUT ZERO UVB , these can be dimmed.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I believe most of us know that already but hopefully that info doesn't confuse Dravyn who's just starting out. I imagine he would let us know if he needed more detailed info about any of that lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom