Please help I think my beardies are sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlabella

Original Poster
Oh I just noticed I didn’t write the sizes of my containers oops. I actually have 5 right now. I don’t feel like calculating it to inches and gallons right now, so I’ll just go for cm and liters.

Container 1: (for gutloading)

36 x 21 x 27 cm = 20,4 liters

Container 2: (for adult crickets + breeding)

43 x 33 x 25 cm = 35,5 liters

Container 3 & 4: (for newly hatched crickets/small crickets)

35 x 26 x 18 cm = 16,4 liters

Container 5: (for the eggs)

43 x 33 x 17 cm = 24,1 liters

erlabella

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Both of them are doing pretty much the same, but I did put rough tiles in the smaller enclosure:

95806-5640481184.jpg

It’s going to be a lot easier to clean and also looks prettier :) I am going to put tiles in the larger enclosure too.

erlabella

Original Poster
UPDATE:

I’ve also put rough tiles in the larger enclosure now :)

95806-9330615825.jpg

Messi actually ate food from her bowl today :) she hasn’t done that for a long time now and I’m happy that she’s getting better :) Ressi is still the same. Lately he has been a little interested in his food, but I still can’t get him to eat.

erlabella

Original Poster
Update:

Almost all of the issues I’ve had are solved!

Diet: They get a lot of healthy vegetables, arugula and a few times fruit. Crickets haven’t arrived yet :(

Lighting: They both have new Exoterra UV tubes 10.0 UVB and their basking spots are raised. The larger cage’s basking spot is around 8” away from the tube, and the smaller cage’s basking spot around 6”. However I do not have metal reflectors behind the tubes, since I can’t find them.

Supplements: I’ve bought Rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vit D3, and Herptivite.

My girl Messi, does actually eat! She doesn’t eat much though, but it’s not like she eats too little. She does have some digestive issues. She has diarrhea all the time and poops brown liquid along with a soft white urate and soft brownish poop. Why does she have diarrhea all the time??

My boy Ressi, still won’t eat. He usually hides in the top corner and just chills. He doesn’t have a black beard nor darkish skin. He seems healthy except the fact that he doesn’t move a lot and won’t eat. Because of that I usually give him some prune baby food and liquid vitamins every once in a while. He doesn’t poop often (since he won’t eat) Yesterday he pooped brownish liquid along with a small hard white urate..

I’m thinking that the main reason for their digestive issues are because of incorrect temperatures, so I’ve ordered an infrared laser gun (or whatever it’s galled) to correctly measure their temperatures :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tanks look terrific, great improvements for them!
I hope your crickets arrive safely then. When did you order them?
Your temperatures could be off which might be one reason she has diarrhea often.
Do you give fruit a lot? If so, the sugar can cause diarrhea. If it persists, it might
be a good idea to get a fecal done on her to be sure there aren't high levels of worms
or parasites.
The arugula is well loved, our two like it also!

Tracie

erlabella

Original Poster
Drache613":1whvln0j said:
Hello,

Your temperatures could be off which might be one reason she has diarrhea often.
Do you give fruit a lot? If so, the sugar can cause diarrhea. If it persists, it might
be a good idea to get a fecal done on her to be sure there aren't high levels of worms
or parasites.

Tracie

Hi :)

I ordered crickets through the pet store. The get new animals (mostly fish) every month including mealworms, superworms and crickets. It was supposed to arrive on Jan 29th, but since it’s very hard for them to keep the crickets alive (because of unstable temperatures and short lifespan) they don’t order them that often. They may or may not get crickets later this month.

I don’t give them fruit often. Maybe less than once a week. I usually give them mango or apple.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
erlabella":ublr6b8f said:
Drache613":ublr6b8f said:
Hello,

or parasites.

Tracie

I ordered crickets through the pet store. The get new animals (mostly fish) every month including mealworms, superworms and crickets. It was supposed to arrive on Jan 29th, but since it’s very hard for them to keep the crickets alive (because of unstable temperatures and short lifespan) they don’t order them that often. They may or may not get crickets later this month.

I don’t give them fruit often. Maybe less than once a week. I usually give them mango or apple.

I'd cut the pet shop out of the picture and order direct from the bulk insect breeders by mailorder , you'll save $ , and get FRESH insects delivered to your door or to you at work .

erlabella

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1lv3htyn said:
erlabella":1lv3htyn said:
Drache613":1lv3htyn said:
Hello,

or parasites.

Tracie

I'd cut the pet shop out of the picture and order direct from the bulk insect breeders by mailorder , you'll save $ , and get FRESH insects delivered to your door or to you at work .

I would love to do that but I’m afraid I can’t unfortunately.

erlabella

Original Poster
Hello:)

It’s been several months since I’ve updated you on my two beardies. Well, here’s another update;)

They’re doing a lot better than I first posted this thread! They went from not eating, not pooping, sand substrate and poor living condition to two beardies who LOVE food. They’re eating from their bowl now and that’s a big improvement. However, I still have some issues.. The first beardie, Messi, started eating months ago. Her weight is decent now, and she’s a lot more alert. She’s generally healthy, except the fact that she rarely basks and because of that, she has digestive issues. Her stool is runny and smelly. She eats food but not enough. Somedays she’ll gladly take some veggies, but somedays, she doesn’t seem interested at all. I am not at home right now, so I can’t measure her basking spot temp, but I’m 100% sure that it’s not too hot. Possibly too cold. I’m pretty positive that the reason she has digestive issues is not because of wrong temps, but because of internal parasites. It’s very hard to tell. Guess only a vet would know so I’ll probably bring her for a visit.

My other beardie, Ressi, has eaten some veggies but barely enough. He’s still underweight. He has kind of the same issues as my other beardie, only he basks a lot of the time. I’m getting a new warmer heat bulb for him. He has extremely bad digestive issues. He smears the poop everywhere and it’s smells so bad. Like seaweed. Gross, I know. I don’t take that as a good sign and I’m pretty sure that he has a bad case of internal parasites. I’ll probably bring him to the vet too.

Sorry for the long paragraph.. Any thoughts or comments on this? Feel free to give me any advice :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear they are doing better. It does sound like it would be a good idea to bring them to a vet along with fresh poop samples to test out for parasites. These can usually be treated effectively, especially if you are diligent about keeping everything well sanitized during treatment to lower the risk of re-infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like your two are doing well, that's great to hear. :D
Definitely try to get some fecal exams to get them tested. Have you double checked the
temperatures just to be sure they are optimal for them?
You could start them on some probiotics to help out their tummies like non dairy acidophiliz
or non dairy soy yogurt.
I'm happy that they are both eating so well now. Thanks for the update, let us know how
they are doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom