Brumation

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Brumation

Postby Bbatteen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Do you feed your beardy during brumation?
Bbatteen
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Brumation

Postby VenusAndSaturn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Its usually a very bad idea to feed a burmating bearded dragon as they do not bask during this time, and because of that they do not digest their food correctly which ends up rotting inside their stomach, and killing them.
1.2.0 CBD, Saturn 30 Months, Venus 30 Months, Neptune 19 Months.
0.0.1 IBTS, Turtle 17 Months. 0.1.0 BP, Spice 14 Months.
0.1.0 LG, Delilah 15 Months. 0.1.0 Ultra Purple Tegu, Oreo 13 months.
-Former scaley family members-
1.0.1 CBD, Lilly (died due to impaction, 1-2 months), Lola (Originally thought to be female, 5-10+ years, possibly died of impaction)
VenusAndSaturn
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Bbatteen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm

VenusAndSaturn wrote:Its usually a very bad idea to feed a burmating bearded dragon as they do not bask during this time, and because of that they do not digest their food correctly which ends up rotting inside their stomach, and killing them.

So even for a month of no food?
Bbatteen
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Their metabolism is slowed down significantly so they don't get hungry and don't poop much during a brumation. I haven't run into problems offering a small snack of squash now and then if they wake up but it was often refused or only one or two pieces eaten. It's good to offer drops of water on their nose so they can lick it up if they are thirsty. Otherwise I'd just track their weight once a week or so and let them be.
CooperDragon

Postby Bbatteen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Their metabolism is slowed down significantly so they don't get hungry and don't poop much during a brumation. I haven't run into problems offering a small snack of squash now and then if they wake up but it was often refused or only one or two pieces eaten. It's good to offer drops of water on their nose so they can lick it up if they are thirsty. Otherwise I'd just track their weight once a week or so and let them be.

He is only 8 months and he is brumating is that ok?
Bbatteen
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

It's a bit young but not unheard of. Keep your lights on the same schedule and keep a close eye on his weight. If he wants to be sleepy and his weight is stable I'd let him be. I would offer food but if he doesn't want it and his weight is stable that's OK. If his weight is declining then it may indicate a problem.
CooperDragon

Postby cvel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm

My dragon is similar age at 9 months and is doing the same. You can see from my recent post “Brumation or something else”. I thought a bit early to brumate less than a year but I keep check of his weight and so far it’s stable.
cvel
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior