Help with coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan1919

Found out today my Bearded dragon has coccidia.. It was late when they called so i pick up his medication tomorrow..I have read about the toltrazuril and it sounds less harsh..If the dr will give this i wanted to ask about the probiotics..What kind should i get? Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were the coccidia levels pretty high?
The Toltrazuril is much more mild than the traditional Albon based formulas. Plus, it is a
direct anti-coccidial agent so it wipes it out in just 1-3 treatments most of the time.
There are several probiotics you can look into. Benebac which is pretty good & is in powder
form & you can find it at most petstores. You can also get non dairy acidophiliz powder at
most local health food stores. Another favorite is non dairy organic soy yogurt plain or the
flavored type.
I feel that probiotics are very beneficial both for humans & animals alike, especially when
taking any type of medication.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Is he eating much?

Tracie

susan1919

Original Poster
Drache613":w9awan4b said:
Hello,

Were the coccidia levels pretty high?
The Toltrazuril is much more mild than the traditional Albon based formulas. Plus, it is a
direct anti-coccidial agent so it wipes it out in just 1-3 treatments most of the time.
There are several probiotics you can look into. Benebac which is pretty good & is in powder
form & you can find it at most petstores. You can also get non dairy acidophiliz powder at
most local health food stores. Another favorite is non dairy organic soy yogurt plain or the
flavored type.
I feel that probiotics are very beneficial both for humans & animals alike, especially when
taking any type of medication.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon. Is he eating much? Somedays he does really well on the salad but not always..He still eats his dubia's but not as many but that may be because i have the larger ones now..usually about 5 or 6 at a time..His poop has been very mushy and stinky . I am really worried about how i will give him the medication because he will not drink water from a syringe..I can drip it on his nose but he will not lick it..He does drink from his bath tho..Would it be possible to inject it into the dubia? I don't have anyone willing to help me..They are afraid he will bite which he never has..LOL..If i use ammonia to clean can you tell me how to dilute it and how long to wait before putting Spike back in? thank you
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you can definitely inject it into the dubia. As for ammonia, I don't use it but I DO use red wine vinegar. It kills pretty much anything, is used in some countries as a disinfectant [ kills cholera + other nasty diseases ] Just use 1 part RWV to about 20 parts water, wipe things down well + rinse welI.

I have read on a dog forum that it's 10% ammonia to kill coccidia.

susan1919

Original Poster
AHBD":6ab0ekxc said:
Hi there, you can definitely inject it into the dubia. As for ammonia, I don't use it but I DO use red wine vinegar. It kills pretty much anything, is used in some countries as a disinfectant [ kills cholera + other nasty diseases ] Just use 1 part RWV to about 20 parts water, wipe things down well + rinse welI.

I have read on a dog forum that it's 10% ammonia to kill coccidia.
thank you..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, red wine vinegar is very good & isn't toxic. Ammonia is very strong & will kill coccidia
if it's strong enough, but you would really need to rinse well so it wouldn't leave harmful
residue behind.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Coccidia is a parasite that lives in the dragon's intestines. A small amount is normally present even in a healthy beardie, but certain factors can cause them to reproduce quickly and make your dragon sick.

It's a good idea to get a fecal test done every year or at least at the very first sign so treatment can be started. The treatment itself is pretty harsh on their systems, so it's a good idea to start treatment asap so the minimum amount of Albon needs to be used to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom