Breeding dubias for Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Ok, so I have ordered 10 females & 5 males so I can start it up. I read a link from South Texas dragons (I think?) & pretty much everything is covered.

I plan to get a big blue tub, egg crates & using my CHE for heating.

Is it possible to just feed them Kevin's greens like I do the crickets or do I NEED roach chow & water crystals?

I live in South Florida so humidity won't be an issue, it's only an issue to attempt to keep it low for Kevin. It is winter & we are going through some temp drops as of now, but only down to about 45. It rarely ever gets colder.

My point is, I have done research but I am a noob so any pointer & advice I can get, I will use.

I'm pregnant & due Feb. 13 so I really need to simplify the feeding process. Or obtaining feeders rather. Now I go to the Petco 3mins up the road every 3 days & buy 4dozen. Once the baby is here, I don't wanna deal with that lol! Especially if his little leg hasn't finished healing up. The easier I can make it the better.

So, thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The SouthTexasDragons link is what I usually refer to for general advice so if you followed that then you should be in good shape. I feed my colony almost exclusively veg scraps from Darwin's salad as well as other kitchen scraps and occasional orange slices and banana and some bread. They do really well on mainly veges and especially love squash. They are pretty low maintenance, especially once you get their colony up and running. WAY easier than crickets.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea, it took a minute to convince my husband that crickets would not be easier or cheaper. He just knows how they're stored in stores to buy them. Had to explain to him breeding takes a lot more than just keeping alive.

I was still only given a limited budget to start with so I only got the 10 & 5. I've seen everywhere that they thrive & breed quicker if there's so other mixed sizes with them. I plan on just feeding him crickets & such until the colony is established. Would it be ok or better if I just buy a few mixed sizes to throw in there every week? Or will that upset them? Or do I even need to add any?

I know it can take a while to get to where I can feed from them but is there a quickest way to go about it? I wish I had thought to do it sooner so I'd be good to go in a month. Ugh.

Beardies eat us outta house & home...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think dubias are illegal in FL. because they could thrive if they escaped.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":5km6woq7 said:
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think dubias are illegal in FL. because they could thrive if they escaped.

Ya know... I thought so. There's NO WHERE that sells them. But apparently they can be shipped to me? Or I may get an email soon stating they can't be shipped.

Maybe someone else lives here & can put in on it?

If they are, and they do get shipped, is there some sort of something can happen to me? Lol... I don't wanna go to jail ???

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KevinsMama":1k49s1pb said:
AHBD":1k49s1pb said:

Ya know... I thought so. There's NO WHERE that sells them. But apparently they can be shipped to me? Or I may get an email soon stating they can't be shipped.

Maybe someone else lives here & can put in on it?

If they are, and they do get shipped, is there some sort of something can happen to me? Lol... I don't wanna go to jail ???

I did look it up a little more & there are even several threads here about it. They are in fact illegal here ??

I will undoubtedly get an email tomorrow or Tuesday telling me nope. I ordered from Amazon, so I'm gonna just try to cancel my order and spend the money on something else for him.

I was really looking forward to starting my own colony & solving this pricey feeder obsession of Kevin's. Oh well...

browndm87

There are other roaches you can get that are legal in florida. I dont know what they are but you can look up. I can ask some friends of mine that are on a facebook group that might know if you would like me to. Let me know and i can find out for you

browndm87

@kevinsmamma

I just talked with a friend of mine and she said you can get discoid roaches that are a very good substitute for dubia roaches. Hope this helps.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
browndm87":teixel4e said:
@kevinsmamma

I just talked with a friend of mine and she said you can get discoid roaches that are a very good substitute for dubia roaches. Hope this helps.

Thank you, that was super awesome! There is a pet store the next town over that has actually just started their discoid colony. They won't sell any for a while though & they will be pretty expensive. I havent done much research on them yet either.

I went & started a nice little colony of crickets today tho & I already here the boys chirping at the ladies so hopefully something will come of it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry I didn't make that connection. Yes, they are banned in Florida. There are other options though and a lot of roaches follow similar care guidelines. The discoids are popular there. Horseshoe crab roaches, banana roaches, death head roaches among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom