when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":2q3503d5 said:
Sounds like Peppa is adjusting well, and both of you seem to be enjoying your snuggles. :love5: :love5:

Are there any beardie rescues in your area? Might be a good thing to check out if you're looking for another beardie or two.

No local reptile rescuers locally, not even WIRES locally and RSPCA is useless when it come to reptiles. Used to see adverts on the local herping club's website for reptiles requiring rehoming, but the club folded a few years ago.

Will just have to wait til next spring I think when local breeders will have some hatchlings available.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
At least Fluffy and her friends will probably keep you plenty busy until then, although I can imagine Peppa feeling a little bit like she's outnumbered by skinks these days.

I guess we're pretty lucky here in Anchorage to have a really good animal care and control facility, and they have a website where you can look at the animals available for adoption. The majority are cats and dogs, but they do occasionally get reptiles, and that's probably what I would do if we ever decide to get another one. It's been on my mind lately because our snake died several weeks ago, so we are back to being a one reptile family again. Puff the "magic" (bearded) dragon gets all the attention of both his human slaves now, him and his little entourage of live bugs.

Puff is 5 years old and seems to be doing well, but he's had adenovirus for 3 years and could possibly take a turn for the worse any time, so we never know. I suffer from unpredictable episodes of depression and fatigue which make it difficult for me to consistently and reliably care for any living thing, so it wouldn't be fair to the animals for me to have any pets at all if it wasn't for my husband's willingness to take up the slack for me and make sure that they get properly cared for when I'm not up to it -- he even brings the beardie to me for his bedtime cuddle when I'm too far gone to get up and go get him myself. I once had a psychotherapist tell me that I "always need to have a little critter to take care of," so I guess that makes the beardie an unofficial "emotional support animal," but I worry that it's not fair to my husband to get stuck taking care of any more than one when I'm not up to doing my fair share (beardie + bugs = more than one).

So we have a tentative plan that if we outlive our beardie (you never know), we would probably keep the empty tank for a month or two and see how we feel, and if we both realize that we have reptile-shaped holes in our hearts, and if we still feel like we can manage to take good care of another one between the two of us, we'll start watching the local animal control website for adoptable lizards, snakes, etc. -- but just one next time, if there is a next time.

Meanwhile, we plan to cherish the one we have as much as possible. :love5:

I have to say that you're something of an inspiration to me, thinking about getting another beardie or two in your own situation, since I know that you're no stranger to being disabled and having to let your wife help you with critter care, and that you're about the same age as me too. It's pretty amazing how much you manage to do for your little family of lizards. (I never had the stomach to cut up superworms for Puff and feed him the goop inside, for example :puke: but hopefully he doesn't miss them too much now that he's discovered Repashy Grub Pie. :wink: )

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
A picture is worth 1000 words ....
1jan2018_peppa_portrait_enjoying_her_daddy.png

We enjoy each other ....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa's day today ...
5jan2018_peppa_enjoying_my_old_t-shirt.jpg

chilling after a feed of bchoi greens & crickets ( greens are yuck ! crickets are yummy !!) , too warm today for her to enjoy a snuggle, so she was enjoying the cool breeze from the aircon.

5jan2018_peppa_chilling.png

she's a very beautiful girl

Being spoilt
5jan2018_peppa_being_spoilt_by_her_daddy_tonight_---_love_those.png

5jan2018_peppa_being_spoilt_by_her_daddy_tonight_---_love_those.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I endulged Fluffy's curiosity this afternoon.

Peppa was having her mandatory mid - late afternoon siesta on her seat next to me and when I had Fluffy out for daily feed and play time she spied Peppa there and I fighting a loosing battle feed her as she was hellbent on checking out Peppa very closely, not the least bit scared of Peppa (unlike Cheakie who is bit wary of the big "scary looking spiky monster".

I'll let the pictures do their own talking :
7jaqn2018_fluffy_checking_out_peppa_who_is_having_an_afternoon_s.jpg

7jan2018_fluffy_exploring_peppa.jpg

7jan2018_fluffy_exploring_peppa2.jpg

Reminds me of how Wriggles interacted with bluetongues and the beardies (Rex & Puff) .... is a very water skink thing it seems.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Those pictures are priceless -- Peppa doesn't seem to care that she's got a smaller lizard crawling all over her. Looks like she practically slept right through it. :lol:

BTW, I've been out of the loop for a while, due to a death in the family as well as some other family issues going on. Haven't been able to spend hours reading and posting on here like I'd been doing, but still trying to keep in touch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom