Temperature issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardock

Hello, I’m Brody and Just two days ago purchased a bearded dragon. Now I’ve heavily researched how to take care of him/her, but there is one problem. I have a 100 watt basking bulb, a 75 basking bulb, a 75 watt nighttime bulb, and a 100 watt uvb light, now I have two double hooded ceramic outlets for the lights, all for my 40 gallon tank. I’ve tried a few different combinations but I can’t figure out how to keep the cold side of the tank over 80* F and I’m woried that if I just leave the nocturnal bulb on the tank will get way to cold. It’s winter and I live in Michigan so I’m having a hard time keeping the heat sorted, my little guy was glass surfing when I had the nighttime bulb on only so I’m very concerned either keep him cold or keep him brightly illuminated at night. I’m in a real pickle so help would be great.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bardock":2mf2xkkh said:
Hello, I’m Brody and Just two days ago purchased a bearded dragon. Now I’ve heavily researched how to take care of him/her, but there is one problem. I have a 100 watt basking bulb, a 75 basking bulb, a 75 watt nighttime bulb, and a 100 watt uvb light, now I have two double hooded ceramic outlets for the lights, all for my 40 gallon tank.
<<< upload photos of the globes and fittings .

Need actual dimensions of the tank L x W x H in inches or cm.

I think you have been sold unsuitable globes , we need to know the exact brand and type and colour of all these globes for starters.
If any are red globes - return the globe to exchange for something else or toss the globe in the bin.
If any are black-light UV globes see above comment.

Suitable globes are as follows
a ExoTerra or Arcadia or Zoo Med MERCURY VAPOUR GLOBE <=== gives heat, white light , UVA and UVB all in one
a par38 DOMESTIC exterior grade colorless incandescent or halogen spot globe <== gives heat & white light
Will be trial and error to get the basking spot temperature right (aim for 40 degC)
Will be trial and error to get the warm zone temperature right (aim for 30-34 degC)
will be trial and error to get the cool zone temperature right (about 24-26 degC)

a CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER (mushroom shaped globe that gives off NO LIGHT) for overnight heating and boosting the tank temp if it gets cold in the room the tank is housed in.

a GOOD 10%UVB - 12%UVB compact (must be a 26W Arcadia or Zoo Med or Exo Terra) mounted in either a reflector hood or a reflector dome UNDER THE MESH LID , set up to give 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot
or
better a GOOD 10%UV -12%UVB t8 tube (Arcadia or Zoo Med or Exo Terra) mounted in a reflector hood UNDER the mesh lid (see above aim)
or BEST a GOOD 10%UVB - 12%UVB t5HO tube (Arcadia or Zoo Med) mounted in a reflector hood , best if UNDER the mesh lid.
See for spacing to basking spot : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 and for more guidance viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

I’ve tried a few different combinations but I can’t figure out how to keep the cold side of the tank over 80* F and I’m woried that if I just leave the nocturnal bulb on the tank will get way to cold. It’s winter and I live in Michigan so I’m having a hard time keeping the heat sorted, my little guy was glass surfing when I had the nighttime bulb on only so I’m very concerned either keep him cold or keep him brightly illuminated at night. I’m in a real pickle so help would be great.
A CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER in the tank controlled by a dimming or switching thermostat (probe near the bed) will provide warmth overnight without producing light, any globe the throws a glow will disturb a dragon's sleep. Aim for 24-26 degC overnight for a hatching or juvenile. Adults can handle as cool as 18 degC OVER NIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom