Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hungry tonight when I treated her eyes with diluted manuka honey , took 1 mealworm & 3 pupae from my fingers, all I had to was take the heads off the insects and let Fluffy smell them and she made fast work of them.

She definitely prefers her live insects over Critta Care and she really likes mealworms.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Getting better and better .... :)

Fluffy had a big meal off me last night when I had her out to treat her eyes with diluted manuka honey ( 1 mealworm + 3 mealworm pupae ) , all taken from my fingers and very appreciated by her - she's definitely got the handfeeding lurk worked out.

She also disappeared 2 medium (disabled- heads were squashed) crickets (dusted with calcium powder) and 2 more mealworms this morning before I got up , these were left in the worm feeding dish (supposed to be exape proof for worms), so not so interested in the Critta Care from the syringe , but accepted some manuka honey from the syringe.

The bottle of GrubPie arrived today.

I'm very pleased that Fluffy has such a good appetite for live insects , especially the calcium dusted , calcium rich greens gutloaded crickets :) , and that she's not needing all her insects given by hand.

Not surprised Fluffy has a taste for crickets, as the wild skinks get all the fresher (dead) crickets .

She was very active this afternoon , and finally after about an hour on me crashed and snuggled into me for a nap.

UPDATES :
1) moving to one dilute manuka honey eyedrops treatment per day from tonight , unless I disturb Fluffy when I move her in her hide to the 100L tub - her eyes looked very good today and I think the lacerations are well on their way to being healed.
2) when I finish off the current syringe of Critta Care , I'll be stopping the supplement, she's been really active this week and has been eating whole insects ,so I don't think she needs this supplement much longer.
3) I will start her off on CalciVet oral supplement starting tomorrow to help build back up her calcium levels now she's no longer pregnant and will no longer be getting Critta Care , will likely do this for 4 - 6 weeks , once per day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Another disabled gut loaded and calcium dusted cricket and a couple more mealworm pupae and mealworms eaten by her from her worm escape proof feeder dish. She left the two small (mealworm sized) silkworms again.
She was still hungry enough to eat 0.2 ml of Critta Care + of cause her "treat"/medicine of several drops of manuka honey when I fed her.

Big mile stone for Fluffy:
- Fluffy met my 7 yr old grandson today for the first time as a pet .... very surprised how well she responded to him :) .... She was on me while I was feeding her when he arrived for a weekend sleepover. She is now so tame that she showed no fear of him and was perfectly fine with his patting her. Fluffy was very interested in him and just wanted to see what he was doing.

Another surprise from Fluffy today:
She was enjoying being out on / with me so much that when I returned her to her 10L tub , she surprised me again by climbing onto the rim of the 10L tub, from inside (not from her hide's roof) , she's been there before ,but always from the roof of her hide, this was new .... as she leapt onto the rim and from the rim to me landing on my knee from where she climbed up to me chest and snuggled into my left armpit so I gave in and let her have a brief nap before returning her to the 10L tub , this seemed to satisfy her.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You could probably get her to eat just about anything if you put a little of her favorite honey on it. :mrgreen:

She's apparently figured out that humans are good guys -- big ones, little ones, and everything in between. And she's lucky she's found a family that's never going to give her any reason to think otherwise. :)

It also looks like she's going to keep you on your toes trying to keep track of her with all the jumping and climbing now that she's feeling well enough to run around. :blob8:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AHBD":lrhgo7cp said:
This is a great story. She went from blind + dying to happy, healthy herp. :)

She's definitely looking like a win.

She actually tried to eat me tonight, I was offering her a couple of pupae before transferring her back the big 100L tub for the night and so she can get some UVA & UVB in the morning, was 1am so she was still mostly asleep when I coaxed her out of her hide onto the t-shirt and chest and gave her a sniff of a decapitated pupae .... she definitely wanted it but was still half asleep and couldn't find the yummy pupae but could smell it on my fingers which she tried to eat.... was very funny , not bit in anger , and she soon let go and eventually found pupae and ate it.... nothing wrong with her appetite now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Something very similar happened with my beardie and Repashy Grub Pie -- except that he was wide awake but he's a lousy shot -- in his enthusiasm he missed the jelly "worm" and chomped my finger instead. He goes nuts for Repashy Grup Pie. :blob5: I think he likes it even better than crickets and roaches, and that's saying a lot.

No serious injury -- didn't even break the skin. A few teeth marks that disappeared in a few minutes. Most people will tell you that beardie bites are no big deal, and I can agree with that. :)

And I agree with AHBD -- thank you for sharing Fluffy's story with us. It's been especially fun to watch the photo log of her tail growing back.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Ignored the 2 dusted decapitated crickets this morning, but did eat some of pupae and mealworms, so she was not at all interested in eating any Critta Care at lunchtime , same story with a freshly dusted and decapitated cricket and even passed a decapitated mealworm and a decapitated pupae, not hungry , all she wanted to do was crawl all over me and to watch the visitors (grandson and his dad).
Might be I was too early with the feed (lizards really like a predictable routine), I've usually been feeding her at about 2 to 3pm , today it was before my lunch as it was too noisey to sleepin with the grandson here for his Pop & Granny holiday.

Not worried if Fluffy doesn't eat much today.... but will try again later.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
hyperactive AGAIN at lunchtime , ate 3 Pupa & 1 mealwotm overnight/in am , so not hungry - only managed to get some honey into her, no hope with dusted crickets , pupae , Critta Care or mealworms, she was too interested in the visitors and way too active (wouldn't sit still for more than a few seconds at a time ....Fluffy just wanted to crawl all over the place, too much going on , too excited.

She let the grandson pat her a couple of times , seems perfectly cool with him .
I tried feeding her for over 90min and eventually gave up at 12:30pm and put her in her 10L , wanted out but lid was on so she very quickly took the hint and cralwed into and disappeared in her hide.
Back out having some insect from her jar-lid (feeder) and drinks 5:30pm - 7pm , the smell and kitchen sounds drew her out once again - she's very food orientated and gets very excited by the smells of cooking meats in particular.
Then napping for a while more and then I tried feeding her again after the 7yr old grandson had gone to sleep and the house was relatively quiet.
Again once she woke up and I'd coaxed her out of her hide onto my chest she was WAY TO ACTIVE - again - only took some honey , she was looking for it everywhere !! could smell the syringe the honey is in - her favorate thing) , but since she's eaten 2 dusted gutloaded large crickets and 2 pupae this evening of her own bat I was am not worried.

She's really asserting herself now , and I think she's telling she likes her insects left for her.

She is becoming a real handful .... so full of beans now it's hard to keep track of her all the time and she's a leaper !!

Talking about "LEAPING LIZARDS", I wore her on the bridge of my reading glasses right between my eyes tonight , I had her perched on my hands and facing me why I was talking to her and suddenly she leapt and all four claws were spread out like a cat and plonk , she landed on my nose.
LOL !!

I'll try one more feed of Critta Care tomorrow after my grandson is picked up but wont be worried if Fluffy says "no" as she's getting plenty of nutrition from the whole insects she's so keen on and she's only feeding herself now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like she no longer feels the need for the concentrated nutrient stuff and wants "whole food" now, except, of course, for the honey. I'd take that to mean she's making progress.

Maybe she'll settle down a little when things get back to "normal" (whatever that is :wink: ) at your place, but then again, maybe not. It may just be her nature to be a "leaping lizard" ( :lol: ) all the time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
The last 0.2ml of Critta Care in the 5ml syringe dried too much despite a cap on the syringe's nozzle so couldn't get any out through the 18g plastic feeder nozzle , so no more Critta Care for Fluffy , not going to refill the syringe unless it becomes necessary.

No problem as she ate well this morning, eating a large decapitated dusted gutloaded cricket (with s drop of honey on it) and 3 pupae and a mealworm.

She is certainly good in the pooing department , more solid food - who insects she eats , the more poos she does. Which is good.

Fluffy went on strike and refused to take any insects from me UNTIL I gave her some honey to lick, she was very good on the tooth after that , she was hungry, (1 mealworm & 3 pupae from my fingers, even licked my fingers after to get taste remaining on the) but she wanted her sweet treat first , well on her way to training her hooman slave I think .

She's taking the presence of our grandson in her stride , not the least bit scared of him or disturbed, if anything , she's very curious about the noisy very active mini-human....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
This is how I found Fluffy when I went to bed last night she'd found the warmest place in her 100L tub = on top the warmest part of the heatpad inbetween layers of rolled paper towel , really snug and cozy - looked like a skink burrita
19_DEC2017_TOASTY_SKINK_BARETTO_STYLE_AT_2_AM.png

Not hungry overnight or early this morning , not to worry , she's been eating really well and will eat when she is hungry and needs it.
Ate OK for me this afternoon , took 4 pupae from my fingers and was licking my fingers to make sure she got every last bit , same thing as happens with the manuka honey.

Two visiters inside today , Cheakie and not far from her a little juvenile , both made for lounge room and we seen heading for the little water dish we have under my wife's greatgrandmom's old display cabinet. I think Fluffy knew the two skinks were inside (seeking water and relief from extreme heat outside) as she was real handful today, even leapt off my hand trotted up my arm onto my shoulder and leapt onto the back rest of the lounge before I could stop her. ... she pretty quickly headed to armrest and I caught her by her tail as she leapt towards the boxes where I keep lizard stuff (she wasn't impressed with being grabbed by the tail but didn't drop it and settled very quickly when I had her on my chest and all was forgiven when I gave her a couple drops of manuka honey --- we were friends again. :)

Similar thing happened once with Lucky , he was very curious about everything he could see and he lept off me one day and this time rather than sitting where he landed like he usually did he crawled under the lounge and we lost him under/behind the lounge , 3 day later I put a water dish out for him and saw him drinking and I was able to scoop him up , I was very please to have him back and to know he was safe , and I think he was very please to be back in his nice cosy tub .

Fluffy wasn't trying to escape, she was just interested in exploring and forgot herself. Believe me , water skinks more F A S T ! ! , she would have been gone behind the furnature and boxes in a instant. She did get a very stern talking too from me.

Fluffy's new skin and regenerating tail today :
19_DEC2017_FULLY_SHOWING_HER_NEW_SKIN_AND_REGENERATING_TAIL.png

Fluffy in tunneller mode .... there's a hand there her in way "her response , hand ? what hand ? I'll just tunnel my way through it"
19dec2017_fluffy_being_a_bulldozer_-_whats_in_there.png

Fluffy in fun mode
19_DEC2017_FLUFFY_FUN.png
19_DEC2017_FLUFFY_FUN2.png

Pooped Fluffy
19dec2017_sleepy_fluffy_ready_for_a_snuggle.png

ready for a snuggle and a nap ....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Amazing how quickly their tails grow back. :) Just curious though, why do you feed her late at night or overnight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom