ADV/ Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry if I misunderstood you, or heard this from someone else, but I thought you said they are ok without supplements during brumation BECAUSE of the fact their bodies shut down? If that's not the case, then does that mean dragons that only "semi brumate" need supplements?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If they are awake + eating, you will supplement the food, and if they're sleeping they are not taking in anything.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey AHBD, so I got a question regarding brumation (Or I guess "semi - brumation") poops. On the 8th I posted that RJ ate several roaches, he did so on the 9th as well, not as many though. And he's been doing his disappearing trick since (except for me taking him out once for water and weight check). He drank some water and has added 12 grams with his two days of snacks. I'm just wondering what's to be expected of the poop process given the circumstances. Today is the 16th and no poop yet. Though I'm sure his metabolism is slowed to nearly a stand still. This is really all he's eaten since he started sleeping a lot except for nibbling a few veggies on occasion. I kinda feel like he would have liked a "real brumation." Also he seemed pretty pale when I took him out for a few mins today. But I'm guessing that's normal being hidden away from direct light? I think I mentioned, I have his lights on from 8am-6pm, off earlier (anywhere from 3-4pm) if his really zonked out. Knowing what I know now, given he had a clean fecal from the start, and as much as he's slept,I think I would have just shut his lights right down. :( I guess that's just part of the experience huh?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He probably would have been fine but this behavior now is not harmful at all. I would hold off on solids for a while now, just offer baby food squash, sweet potato, prunes with a few drops of raw honey and/or olive oil. He will eventually go. :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya I definitely haven't been or plan to feed him more, especially without poop. I guess it just seemed like he "came out" those couple days cuz he "wanted something." Ya I'll try some of that next time he's out, or in a coupe days if he doesn't. Is there a point where I should be concerned?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey bud, just wanted to update you. Today is two weeks since the first bunch of roaches RJ ate (he ate some on the 8th and 9th) and he's still not pooped. I will try a bath tomorrow, but he's usually not very good about staying in. I gave him some prunes w/2 drops of vegetable oil a couple days after you suggested I try that (I think it was the 17th or 18th). And I gave him a little more prunes yesterday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K, that's pretty typical. Offer some more of the natural laxatives + be patient.....they always go, it's just much longer periods when they are going through this phase.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry, don't mean to be repetitive, but is three weeks still ok? Gave him a short bath (just enough water to touch his tummy) and some pumpkin yesterday

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
One month and no poop :( two days ago a gave a 15 min bath at 95 º with tummy rubs, a small amount of pumpkin 2 hrs prior, he didn't want much

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K, mine have done the same thing over the years, nothing bad happened + no one got sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom