Beardie hiding under rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC109

My bearded dragon is about 9 months old and for the last couple days I’ve come home from work and found him under his rock. He has never done this before.. he is eating well, pooping, and his temps are perfect. His ubv light is brand new. I’m wondering if it’s stress related. I just got a puppy a little over two weeks ago but my beardie hasn’t shown any other signs of stress. Also the dog is kept in a crate in the other room while I’m at work. When the puppy is around he doesn’t seem to care. He never gets a black beard or anything he just keeps basking. His tank is up high too and she can’t get to him at all. She’s very small. He will bask if I take him out from under the rock and put him back under the light. Any ideas??
92152-5694399672.jpg
92152-3685176219.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Depending on the entire setup it could effect him, just give us a bit of a run down of the enclosure, temps, what your using to heat the ennclosure during the day, if you use a night time heat source, any other heating elements, what his uvb light is (brand, tube light etc), how old the uvb is.

And then a bit about what he eats every day.

If everythings good and hes at a stable weight then it could be burmation.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":1zlpniuh said:
Can you give us more information about your "perfect" temps? What are they exactly?

His basking spot is 100 degrees and cool side is 75-80. I have a 75 gallon tank so he has plenty of space. His ubv is reptisun 10.0 I just replaced it after 6 months a couple weeks ago and it is inside the tank. He eats dandelion leaves, collard greens, peppers and zucchini for the most part and Dubia roaches once a day.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Just had to check. :) The basking spot could stand to be about 5-10 degrees hotter.... Other than that, will he emerge from his hide for food?

AnnaC109

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":3h2lxkhu said:
Just had to check. :) The basking spot could stand to be about 5-10 degrees hotter.... Other than that, will he emerge from his hide for food?

It’s is a little hotter depending on the temperature in my apartment but if it’s hotter than 105 he won’t bask there. But when I saw him like that I took him out. He is way too big to be under that rock he stuffed himself in there. I just have it in the corner and usually he just uses it to get on top of the log in there. So when I took him out and then gave him his roaches he would eat them. I also don’t feed him in the tank.. but yes he’s eating.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":3l1ae5w3 said:
Does he have an appropriately-size hide or cave in the enclosure that he can sleep in?

Yes but he doesn’t like to sleep there he always sleeps on his hammock. I’m sorry, but what does this have to do with him going in the rock during the day?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Because during burmation beardies need a large hide where they can easily get into when they want to sleep and be left alone. Not cramp themselves into and be uncomfortable while trying to burmate.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
I see VenusAndSaturn explained it for me. :) From what I can tell, it sounds like your beardie is trying to brumate. Don't wake him up, and don't force him to eat, as brumation causes a bearded dragon's metabolism to slow down almost to a stopping point. This means that food doesn't get digested — instead, it may rot and poison him. You can offer fresh salads (no bugs) inside his enclosure to snack on if he wakes up, but let him do it on his own terms.

AnnaC109

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":2prc4dfm said:
I see VenusAndSaturn explained it for me. :) From what I can tell, it sounds like your beardie is trying to brumate. Don't wake him up, and don't force him to eat, as brumation causes a bearded dragon's metabolism to slow down almost to a stopping point. This means that food doesn't get digested — instead, it may rot and poison him. You can offer fresh salads (no bugs) inside his enclosure to snack on if he wakes up, but let him do it on his own terms.

But he isn’t a year old yet. I thought that they couldn’t brumate until they were done growing? Also the vet told me that brumation isn’t necessary in captivity bc he has food and warmth to be awake year round. He told me to just keep his lights on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom