Hiding all day!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makenziewomack

I’ve had my bearded dragon for about 3 months now. He is about 7 months old. He was doing just fine in the fall. He was eating regularly and basking. But he’s been acting weird lately. He still eats normally and poops normally but he hides under his rock all day. His basking spot is this cool cave that he can climb up or go inside. So he’s been hiding inside of it when he’s isually always on top, basking. He’s not sleeping. Just laying down with his eyes open. His temps are 90°F hot side and 82°F cool side. I’m just worried if he’s sick or if I’m doing something wrong. I’m taking care of him all by myself and this is my first time with a bearded dragon and I thought I was doing a good job but now I’m scared I haven’t been :( please help me

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Hey there. There are a number of possibilities here, but first off: can you upload a pic of his enclosure/setup? The easiest process of elimination is to start with the husbandry. What are the specs on your UV lighting? Is it a small coil bulb or a long tube (Reptisun or Arcadia)? Are you taking cage temps with a digital thermometer (very important, as those stick on thermometers are highly inaccurate and can be off by 20 degrees or more)? What is his exact basking temperature? Younger beardies need their basking site to fall within a 100-110 gradient, while adults prefer 95-105. This temperature should always be monitored with a digital thermometer (Zoomed makes a widely available temp gun found at many chain pet stores). The fact that he’s eating regularly and having normal bowel movements is a very good sign, so this may simply be a case where a minor tweak to his temps or UV light is in order. Other possibilities: stress (example: there’s a cat in the house that he can see regularly, a loud environment, such as being close to a stereo). And again, any photos you could upload would be very helpful. And ruling out a weak or inadequate UV light is also necessary, so those specs will be helpful. And if you want to provide info on his current diet that wouldn’t hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom