Dead dubias :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the colder season approaches and the temperatures drop, dubias are becoming harder to find/get with these being my dragons staples, its a hard departure. We will be saying bye bye to roaches until the weather gets warmer. Whats an alternative insect to a roach that we can use as a staple?

My dragons range from 8in-17in :)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If you want/could you could breed them, all it takes is a 60 quart tub, greens for food, maybe a wet paper towel for extra water, egg crates or paper towel tubes empty, 75-80 temperatures, air holes on the lid or top sides and then 5 females and 1 male if thats all you can find. Though 25 females and 2 males would be better. And then just make sure their fed good and cared for and then they eventually will produce babies and in the warmer seasons just buy a few more when you can, keep adding to the colony to make it larger. And then feed off the medium sized ones or if you have to many adult males feed off those once the colony is a good size.

Though crickets would be the next easy thing, i'd say get two tubs 60 quart and 90 quart and some egg crates. 60 quarts for a smaller size of cricket and then 90 quarts for medium/large. Give them some collard greens or any healthy greens and they should be good to go but of course harder to breed than dubias if you wanted to do that.

Dragonmamiof4

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2panmx35 said:
If you want/could you could breed them, all it takes is a 60 quart tub, greens for food, maybe a wet paper towel for extra water, egg crates or paper towel tubes empty, 75-80 temperatures, air holes on the lid or top sides and then 5 females and 1 male if thats all you can find. Though 25 females and 2 males would be better. And then just make sure their fed good and cared for and then they eventually will produce babies and in the warmer seasons just buy a few more when you can, keep adding to the colony to make it larger. And then feed off the medium sized ones or if you have to many adult males feed off those once the colony is a good size.

Though crickets would be the next easy thing, i'd say get two tubs 60 quart and 90 quart and some egg crates. 60 quarts for a smaller size of cricket and then 90 quarts for medium/large. Give them some collard greens or any healthy greens and they should be good to go but of course harder to breed than dubias if you wanted to do that.
Hello!
We have a dubia colony at the moment with about 10 females 5 males but they just aren’t producing fast enough to feed all the dragons :( I fear parasites and diseases with crickets.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You could feed off 3 of those males, usually a 1 male to 5 female ratio is whats best or the males will sometimes cannibalize or stress the females out. Or at least thats what ive seen, i used to have babies go randomly missing, like there was a lot in there and then suddenly there would be fewer and fewer until i realized i only had 9 females and 17 males. So i had to feed off almost all the males and now my colony is doing better than ever with 50 or so females and only 2-3 males.

Crickets do come sometimes with parasites.... but usually its curable and easy to get rid of. At the moment my colony is too small to exactly feed off so i have to order crickets and i havent had much of a problem yet.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
BSFL (also known as Phoenix worms or reptiworms) are one of my absolute favorite feeders. They’re rich in calcium, have no hard exoskeleton, and require no food or maintenance. I order online from Fluker’s and Symton, but I know pet stores are starting to carry these as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom