Habitat for Juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I most likely would not go with that, i mean it may be possible for something that doesnt need special lighting like a leopard gecko or a ball python. Plus i dont think the glass would hold the tile very well (if you go with tile i personally like it because it keeps their claws trimmed which = less scratches most of the time even though i have like 10 on each arm just from my female beardie during bath time) it could possibly hold shelf liner, paper towel and news paper but it wouldnt be good for uvb lighting which is a must.

If you wanted more space to add more hides/branches and things like that and maybe a dig area you could get a regular 75 gallon fish tank (i got mine at petco for 90 or so dollars and then had to buy the top separate at a different store) Put some tile down, a few branches a couple hides add a bright basking spot usually around 100-160 watts in a 48x18x20 tall tank, you may have to try a few things to get it at a constant 100-108 for the basking spot. Make sure you use a temp gun or digital temperature guage with a probe. And then for uvb lighting your going to want a reptisun t5 HO 10.0 tube light thats probably around 46" or so with a reflective hood mounted on top of the screen or inside if you want it to be stronger. Usually you can get one on amazon for a cheap price. (Also the reason why i havent mentioned loose particle substrates that petstores say is needed and is "natural" is because it causes injury which can includes death, eye irritation, bad joints, impaction, fungal infections and things like that. Fun fact - beardies dont live on sand like they make you believe.) You can also add a dig spot with either eco earth in a small portion of the cage, or what im going to do is get some organic soil and put in the middle area so hopefully when my female lays eggs she can go over there and do what she wants so i dont have to setup a dig box. Of course most likely infertile eggs, breeding would cost too much money.

Beardies do well in somewhat simple setups especially babies, if you get a baby make sure to offer it tons of hides so it can hide if it wants to. Also if this is your first beardie i recommend getting a 6+ month old or so as they are very fragile when young. Myself having two beardies before my two oldest ones now i got them at 6 months because at that age their eating twice a day, less fragile and less flighty. Usually 1-4 months they eat three times a day, 10-20 bugs each feeding (roaches, crickets, silkworms calciworms are staples for all ages). So that costs quite a bit if you go to a petstore to get crickets luckily you can order on amazon and get like 2,000 of them.

Basically for feeding its like this,
1-4 months three times a day, (10-20 bugs each feeding for all ages) , 4-12 months two times a day, 12-20 months once a day, and then 20+ months every other day or 2-3 times a week (usually 3).
Calcium without d3 5 times a week, with multivitamins two times a week. I recommend the rep-cal brand.
And then with salads offered daily (daily salad is usually collard greens, turnip greens mustard greens) and then maybe fruit offered once or twice a week.

Depending on your sons age you'll be mostly doing all the caring. I have 6 lizards in total and im only 14 years old, so it is a bit of a struggle keeping up with school work when you have to always check on your reptiles to make sure their okay and well fed. Luckily im home schooled so that relieves some of the stress. i also have a snake but she doesnt need to eat salads and things like that everyday. It takes about an hour for me to get everyones food prepared in the morning, and half the time i hand feed around 3 pm, usually the beardies need hand feeding for the dusted crickets and that takes another hour, then again i have 3 beardies. So it'll probably take a few minutes in the morning for you or your son to make salads for them. And then half an hour to hand feed if you do hand feed which works great as a bonding session.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I’d avoid anything designed specifically for plants (the ventilation may be compromised). If you do go the fish tank route instead of opting for a melamine or PVC terrarium, just know it’s a bit more difficult to evenly heat these. You’ll want to mount a Reptisun 10.0 tube inside the tank. Don’t get a coil UV bulb, as many of these are weak and only project UV to a very limited area). And if you get a glass tank I recommend blocking off three of the walls (making them opaque/solid by taping fabric or construction paper to the exterior. Beardies surrounded by all glass can get a bit stressed and don’t feel safe/secure. Whatever enclosure you end up purchasing, just make sure that it was designed for animals and has proper ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom