I just got a bearded dragon and I have some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

barny

95583-1702443608.jpg
95583-9001737875.jpg
The bearded dragon in question is an 7-8 week old rick walker red phase. First of all, they (haven’t been able to sex them yet) keep rubbing the sides of their face on the ground, log, and climbing vine within his cage. I’m pretty sure they’re just shedding but since they are so young I was advised not to handle them for another 3-4 weeks so I’m not sure whether or not to soak them. Secondly, they keep scratching at the glass in their cage. Does anyone know why they would do this? And finally, I have given him a variety of vegetables daily over the past week but he hasn’t even touched them, no matter what I give him or where I put it. Also, does the colour get brighter over time because right they look like a normal bearded dragon (a grey/brown colour).

barny

Original Poster
There is only one. I understand why you were confused as the pronouns they/them do not specify the number of individuals. Right now they are in a temporary setup (we’re waiting till Boxing Day to buy a 4 foot melamine terrarium as my local pet shop is having a sale). The dimensions of the current terrarium are 65cm long x 30cm deep x 45 cm high. I’ll post an image of the setup as you asked.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
barny":3c3mtr3n said:
Also, I am new to this forum. Can you please tell me how to post an image?
Go to this link and upload the chosen pic, https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list . Then open the page to make a post and hit the XIMG tab at the top and choose the pic you want.

When they are babies, they will show little to no interest in veggies at all! This is quite normal! They need lots of live bugs to grow up big and, strong. Do not waste your money on prepared foods like, pellets or freeze dried bugs!
No mealworms, waxworms or, superworms, these are bad feeders!

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Many babies shun veggies initially so that’s completely normal. Always offer and encourage but don’t panic if he shows little interest. Focus on getting him the best quality protein: dubia roaches, silkworms, BSFL, and gutloaded crickets. Always make sure the insects are smaller than the space between his eyes. As for the rubbing, bearded dragons aren’t modest in their efforts to alleviate shedding discomfort, and they’ll aggressively rub their faces and bodies against cage decorum to expedite the process. If a bearded dragon is constantly glass surfing, it’s usually one of three issues: 1. The cage is too small 2. The temperatures aren’t ideal 3. He’s restless and wants to be taken out so he can go on an exploring adventure and burn off some pent up energy. The cage in the photo is very small, and it looks like it would be tough to get the temps in the ideal range (100-110 basking spot, 79-84 cool side) with a tank that small. So some of his restlessness may subside once his tank gets an upgrade. Regarding handling, at his age you can slowly start to interact with him. I recommend keeping these interactions brief so he isn’t initially overwhelmed. Start out by placing your hand in the cage and resting it on the ground. Don’t attempt to pick him up during these first few interactions; the goal is simply to get him comfortable with the concept of your hand. Eventually you can slowly move your hand closer. Try handfeeding him a treat like a BSFL. When you do transition to picking him up go slow and keep him in the cage. If he gets skittish he’ll hop off and you can try again when he calms down. Sometimes it’s a very slow process, but eventually you’ll be able to handle him with ease. One of my dragons will hop into my hand when I open her cage door and say “out,” a stark contrast to the skittish baby she used to be. So don’t feel discouraged if handling your baby feels like trying to tame a wild marmoset at first. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom