Viv lighting and design tips wanted!

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Viv lighting and design tips wanted!

Postby Remysbiggestfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Switching from a 30 gal to a 50 gal, currently have the reptisun t5 5.0, what would be the best light for a 50 gal? How should I ideally set the Viv up? How far from the UVB should he be? What all should it include? Design ideas? Thanks! :)
Remysbiggestfan
Hatchling Poster

Re: Viv lighting and design tips wanted!

Postby AHBD » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi there, the t5 should be mounted inside since it's a 5.0 [ the only exception would be if the screen had large holes instead of small and the light could be within 7-8" of the dragon ] So mounting under the screen with wire like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploa ... _small.jpg
The the next time you order a new bulb you can get the t5 10.0 + put it on top of the screen.

For cage decor I've picked up beautiful half logs + driftwood outside that can fit in my oven, then preheated to 250 + baked for 60-75 minutes depending on wood thickness. Yu can also get nice large basking rocks, those you can just wash with hot , soapy water + rinsed. If you prefer, just get the cage decor at the store [ skip hammocks ] but I like my natural logs from outdoors and what a bonus when they're free.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Remysbiggestfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 pm

AHBD wrote:Hi there, the t5 should be mounted inside since it's a 5.0 [ the only exception would be if the screen had large holes instead of small and the light could be within 7-8" of the dragon ] So mounting under the screen with wire like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploa ... _small.jpg
The the next time you order a new bulb you can get the t5 10.0 + put it on top of the screen.

For cage decor I've picked up beautiful half logs + driftwood outside that can fit in my oven, then preheated to 250 + baked for 60-75 minutes depending on wood thickness. Yu can also get nice large basking rocks, those you can just wash with hot , soapy water + rinsed. If you prefer, just get the cage decor at the store [ skip hammocks ] but I like my natural logs from outdoors and what a bonus when they're free.

Thanks! Why skip hammocks?
Remysbiggestfan
Hatchling Poster

Postby VenusAndSaturn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Usually hammocks arent really gonna be used that often and from what ive seen they dont support the weight of a full grown dragon, or at least the cheap plastic ones which is what you'd find at a store. Dragons claws can also get caught in them.

I believe theres other hammocks available and i honestly may start looking into the other kind to see what i can do for my 75 gallons once i get them eventually.
1.2.0 CBD, Saturn 24 Months, Venus 24 Months, Neptune 13 Months.
0.0.1 IBTS, Turtle 11 Months. 0.1.0 BP, Spice 8 Months.
0.1.0 LG, Delilah 9 Months. 0.1.0 Ultra Purple Tegu, Oreo 7 months.
-Former scaley family members-
1.0.1 CBD, Lilly (died due to impaction, 1-2 months), Lola (Orginally thought to be female, 5-10+ years, possibly died of impaction)
VenusAndSaturn
Sub-Adult Poster

Return to Enclosures