Cold weather killing crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlinp99

Hi. Is anyone else having a problem with crickets dying in the winter? My dad got 3 tubs today and there are about 3 alive in each of the tubs. The girl in the store said that they would just need to be warmed up in order for them to perk up. However, they've been in my house for almost 5 hours and the amount of living ones hasn't changed.
I'm thinking about ordering my live food instead but I'm worried that they will all just die during delivery. I have a 6 month old dragon and I don't want her to have to go without live food.
Thanks.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
They most likely are completely dead, i once ordered banded crickets (around 1,000) and they were all sluggish so i figured id give them food and leave them till morning and the next morning the ones that werent moving were dead still and the ones that were moving were now dead.

However i use brown crickets mostly and for whatever reason they seem to tolerate the cold a bit better, now im not entirely sure what the difference between the two are.

When i ordered my 2,000 brown crickets from amazon (around a month ago) they had double boxing and a heat pack in it so it kept the crickets warm.

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":y600rtyk said:
They most likely are completely dead, i once ordered banded crickets (around 1,000) and they were all sluggish so i figured id give them food and leave them till morning and the next morning the ones that werent moving were dead still and the ones that were moving were now dead.

However i use brown crickets mostly and for whatever reason they seem to tolerate the cold a bit better, now im not entirely sure what the difference between the two are.

When i ordered my 2,000 brown crickets from amazon (around a month ago) they had double boxing and a heat pack in it so it kept the crickets warm.

I use brown crickets also unless I can't get them. I put them in front of the fire for about an hour and there is a lot more life in them, so hopefully more will come around soon. And that's good to hear about the heat pack, I might email some live food sellers to ask them if they are kept warm during delivery. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they should warm up much more quickly than that. They do become paralyzed in cool weather but tend to bounce back within several minutes of being warmed. I had good pretty good luck ordering online. Winter packaging had double boxes and heat packs as described in the previous post. It's good to use overnight shipping as well to minimize their exposure to very cold temps. In the winter I kept a ceramic heat emitter over their tank as well which seemed to keep them much happier (temps in the 70s/80s vs cellar temps in the 60s).

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1iijfpx3 said:
Yeah they should warm up much more quickly than that. They do become paralyzed in cool weather but tend to bounce back within several minutes of being warmed. I had good pretty good luck ordering online. Winter packaging had double boxes and heat packs as described in the previous post. It's good to use overnight shipping as well to minimize their exposure to very cold temps. In the winter I kept a ceramic heat emitter over their tank as well which seemed to keep them much happier (temps in the 70s/80s vs cellar temps in the 60s).

Yeah, some came around quickly but the rest are dead. I emailed a couple of online livefood stockists and they said that they deliver them with heat packs and double boxes, so I think I'm definitely going to order them from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom