coughing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan1919

My bearded dragon appears to be coughing..I noticed it last night.again this morning.. Its snowing and very cold out and i found out the reptile vet nearest me are closed..I am so worried he will get worse before monday. What can i do to help Spike in the mean time..I have amoxicillian capsules and wanted to ask if that mixed correctly would be a good or bad idea? I rescued this little guy and i am very concerned..Thanks

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Susan, I'm so sorry to hear that he's coughing, it sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection and needs to see the Reptile Vet to have a culture done to determine what the cause is and the correct medication to kill the microbe causing it. Dragons get both bacterial and fungal upper respiratory infections, so it's important to not just allow the vet to put him on a broad-spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril (usually), without insisting that he do a proper culture to be sent out to determine the correct medication, because if it's caused by a fungi then the broad-spectrum antibiotic will do no good. So please be sure to force the issue of a culture when you do get to the vet.

Do not give him any prescription antibiotics, like the amoxicillin. It's likely not the correct antibiotic to help whatever bug he has anyway, but you could also make him very sick or possibly really hurt him because you have no way of controlling the dosage you're giving him.

Until you can get him to a Reptile Vet on Monday, bump of the temperatures inside his tank by 5-10 degrees by lowering his basking bulb down towards his tank or adding a second, very low wattage bright white bulb over his tank. Also, set up his basking spot on a downward ramp, you can use a flat wood board propped up on his basking rock, and put him on it so that his head is facing down the ramp. Try to keep him on this in that direction as much as you can, this will help to drain the excess mucous and fluids out of his chest and his head. That combined with the extra heat should be enough to keep him comfortable until Monday. You should also offer him water drops on the tip of his snout, allowing them to run down over his lips, hopefully he'll lick them off. Do this several times throughout the day so he'll stay hydrated.

susan1919

Original Poster
EllenD":3chpwxuh said:
Hi Susan, I'm so sorry to hear that he's coughing, it sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection and needs to see the Reptile Vet to have a culture done to determine what the cause is and the correct medication to kill the microbe causing it. Dragons get both bacterial and fungal upper respiratory infections, so it's important to not just allow the vet to put him on a broad-spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril (usually), without insisting that he do a proper culture to be sent out to determine the correct medication, because if it's caused by a fungi then the broad-spectrum antibiotic will do no good. So please be sure to force the issue of a culture when you do get to the vet.

Do not give him any prescription antibiotics, like the amoxicillin. It's likely not the correct antibiotic to help whatever bug he has anyway, but you could also make him very sick or possibly really hurt him because you have no way of controlling the dosage you're giving him. Thanks i have upped his temps a little and i will make his basking spot slanted..I pray he will be ok

Until you can get him to a Reptile Vet on Monday, bump of the temperatures inside his tank by 5-10 degrees by lowering his basking bulb down towards his tank or adding a second, very low wattage bright white bulb over his tank. Also, set up his basking spot on a downward ramp, you can use a flat wood board propped up on his basking rock, and put him on it so that his head is facing down the ramp. Try to keep him on this in that direction as much as you can, this will help to drain the excess mucous and fluids out of his chest and his head. That combined with the extra heat should be enough to keep him comfortable until Monday. You should also offer him water drops on the tip of his snout, allowing them to run down over his lips, hopefully he'll lick them off. Do this several times throughout the day so he'll stay hydrated.

susan1919

Original Poster
I have raised his temperature and have him on a slanted position.. He has only coughed a couple of times today and i pray he doesn't get worse ..I had baked his habba hut last week and noticed i could smell it more in the tank since..To me it smells like pine..i have a spare one so i changed out..Not sure if that could have irratated his throat but just taking precautions..

susan1919

Original Poster
Spike seems back to normal. He is eating well. If that was a cough i saw thanks goodness i haven't seen it again.. Thanks everyone for the advice

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That's good, it could have been a little irritated from breathing something in, or he could have sucked up some water the wrong way, but as long as it hasn't persisted and he hasn't been wheezing or making any "crackling" sounds while he breaths he should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom