DIY Tank Background Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 55 gallon tank measuring approximately 48"L x 14"W x 16"H

The tank wraps (backgrounds) for this size are too pricey, so I want to make my own background. I was thinking of drawing on poster board.

Any suggestions? Pics are encouraged!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had photos printed in large format to fit the back of my tank. They were taken in (part of) their natural habitat. It looks good but it wasn't cheap necessarily. You could do similar by drawing or painting a scene. It doesn't have to be a photo background at all. I have it taped to the outside of the glass and it has held up pretty well.

76248-4349135794.jpg

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
I made my own background out of foam and grout ended up costing over $100 and I don't really like it anymore and kinda wish I did it a bit differently.

The one I would do now which would cost around $50-$100.
it's called a spray foam background. All it really is, is just spraying the foam on your tanks walls, covering it with silicone adding things to it like cork bark then covering it with dirt, all and all you get a nice realistic background which I would of loved to done but sadly can't =[ (Plus my tank is wooden so I couldn't really do it anyways)

heres a video that will explain it much better, this is just a way easier one then I did and cheaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEB0eTe5Cg&t=75s (Also once you apply the foam wait till it's completely cured then wait another 3 days in case if fumes are still lingering before you do anything else)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom