Bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He looks like he's about 2 months old, he's cute. He should be eating 2-3 times a day, as many small crickets he can eat in 15 minutes. Check some of the discussions on this site.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I highly, highly doubt that dragon is 6 months old, he looks to be between 1-2 months old, and he doesn't seem to have any facial or bone deformities. It's not all about how much they eat, it's mainly about whether or not they are being provided 13-14 hours every day of adequate, strong UVB light and in proper temperature zones, these are the conditions that allow them to both absorb and use all the nutrition and supplements you are feeding him. So you can feed him tons and tons of live insects, as you should be doing every day, but if you don't have an adequate, strong UVB tube and a proper wattage bright white basking light to keep his 3 temperature zones within the correct ranges, none of that food will help him grow and develop at all...

That being said, again, he's not a 6 month old dragon, where did you get him (or your brother get him)? A pet shop?

And I'd go over what UVB light you have, is it mounted inside his tank or is it obstructed by a mesh lid, how far away in inches is it from his basking spot/platform? And do you have a proper Digital Probe Thermometer or Temperature Gun to take his temps with, or just a stick-on? What are your 3 temperature zones? These are the things you need to get set-up correctly so that he grows properly from this point on...

I'm going to assume that your brother bought him recently from either a pet shop or a breeder, and they told him that he was 6 months old but in reality he is only around 1-2 months old, as most dragons are 4" or longer at the time they hatch. So by default even with horrible husbandry he'd be longer than 6" at 6 months old, and he'd show the signs of MBD and calcium deficiency, which he does not. This is not uncommon, pet shops and breeders lie about their baby's ages all the time, or if it was a pet shop they just didn't know how old he was, so they made something up. Most pet shops, especially Petco and PetSmart, get their babies around 1 month old...

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I inherited a dragon that had a Metabolic bone disease and was 3 years old and only about 8" total. He lived another 2 years but never grew bigger. And the tank could overwhelm a dragon that's so tiny. If he seems skittish or stressed switching to a smaller tank as if it were a baby might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom