Worried he looks bloated again like when he had coccidia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlys

Hello everyone,

I can't tell if Toad is looking fat or bloated but, the last time this happened, it was because he had a very bad coccidia count. He went through his treatment and got a clear fecal two weeks later. That was back in September though. I would say this extra "squishiness" has been going on for about a week. I kept thinking it was in my head but my bf agrees he's looking way more rotund recently. I think he was born late June/early July and I've had him since late July.

Quick rundown of his hudbandry:
-- 40 gallon tank with half slate tile and half paper towels on the hot side where he likes to poop
-- 36" Arcadia T5 HO mounted inside the tank and a 100 w heat bulb. He can't get closer than 10" to the UVB.
-- 75-80 degrees cool side, 90-95 warm side, 100-108 basking (he has a couple logs underneath his bulb and one gets hotter than the other)
-- He mostly eats gut loaded dubias and greens (bok choy and collard) but will occasionally get hornworms. When he was younger, his staple was BSFL but now he eats too many to be cost effective.
-- Calcium dusting one meal 4-5x a week, vitamins 2x
-- Baths only when he's smelly or shedding

He had a hint of pink in his urate today but that could be coincidence. Appetite seems normal.

These photos really made me realize how bad I need to clean the glass of his tank lol. And, yes, he has a stick on thermometer but that's from when I didn't know any better and just haven't removed it. I use one of those little digital infrared thermometers now.

YnIj1FZ.jpg

oy6cFKw.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, are you positive on the age and that Toad is a boy ,not a girl ? Is his appetite good ? He looks very healthy. :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He looks full, but not bloated to me at all. Usually when they're bloated they actually get very "round" all the way around, and he just looks like he has a full tummy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I am wondering if he possibly has eggs? You are positive Toad is not female?
The tummy does look a little lumpy....

Tracie

karlys

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure he's a he but I will take a photo with his tail lifted tomorrow morning. As far as age goes, this is what he looked like on Aug 8th. I'd had him for about a week when I took this pic.

Tt1TwqI.jpg

His tummy doesn't feel lumpy, just really squishy. His appetite was normal, up until today. He only ate 2 or 3 dubias today. I'm +q+t sure if it's because he's not feeling well or if it's because they're bigger than he's used to. He's always gotten pretty small 1/4-1/2" ones but my colony only really had tiny newborn babies or 3/4-1" ones. I caught the bigger ones but he wasn't too interested.

I'll update this tomorrow after I take that pic and offer him some tiny baby dubias.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Toad has really grown then! So, he would be 7 or so months, estimated in age.
Has he gone to the bathroom lately? He can handle medium insects, but just be sure
that they are smaller than the space between the eyes.
The picture makes it appear that there are a few lumps/bumps. LOL That is why we
were eluding to the possibility of Toad being female. There are cases where females
develop infertile eggs at 5-6 months.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think he/she is fine, beardies often have lumpy tummies, it's very common . :) You might as well find out the gender so you'll know anyway.

karlys

Original Poster
Well, the photo doesn't show it as well as you can see with your eyes but here's his tail:

sXyAk4a.jpg

And this is what he looks like today. Still very round. Although, his appetite is back to normal. Yesterday must have just been an off day.

bkQSi9K.jpg

To clarify, the consensus is that he just has a big (healthy) belly? No reason to be worried or put him on a diet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes he is a boy....see the 2 small lumps above the vent ? And yes his belly is fine...maybe the dubias you feed her are really large and cause more of the lumpy appearance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Toad is most definitely a male. LOL No confusion there.
So he is back to normal today then & eating? They oftentimes have off days where they don't
eat much or normally. The insects are not larger than the space between his eyes, correct?
I'm glad to hear he is doing well today then!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom