Is my bearded dragons dark tail ok? The end dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiley

so I have had my bearded dragon for about a month now and she has always had this dark tail. I researched a bit and I think maybe it’s old skin that never had shed. I think the end is dead because when I feel it it feels deflated kind of. On other parts of her tail that you can’t see in the pictures is like on some parts of you can see orange-pink color she is striped with orange so I think it might be good skin underneath the dark skin and I think it could cut off the circulation. She is only like 2 months old I think the pet store never told me how old she is. Her cool spot is 75-85 her warm spot is 97-105 and she is finally gaining some wait she was a little smaller but I think her belly is getting bigger which is good. Her UV light is the rpti-10. Is there anything I could soak her tail in?
95676-5845559407.jpg
95676-2044447433.jpg
95676-1516103889.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kiley, she looks happy + alert and I like the big log you have in her tank. :) The tail does have a bit of trauma, possibly will just fall off at some point [ which doesn't harm the lizard at all ]. but just keep an eye on it to watch that it doesn't spread up the tail. You can soak it in hibiclens or betadine [ both found at most walmarts or drug stores ] You can dilute either of those 5 parts water to 1 part of either of those. If she's too skittish you can just dab it on the tail straight 1-2X a day without mixing with water. If you do soak her in it be sure she doesn't try to drink any! If she's calm enough you can hold her and just get a jar to put the solution in and let her tail dangle down in to it.

She'll prob. be fine, just keep an eye on it + post here with any other questions.

BTW, can you post pics of her set up showing the lighting ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a beautiful set up, text book as far as cage decor + climbing areas. :) One thing to be aware of is that most coil/compact uvb bulbs don't produce quite enough uvb so you'll need to upgrade to a long tube Reptisun 10.0 t5. This is critical for proper calcium absorption.

Also, if you have any blue bus replace them with crisp white bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another thing to note is that the UVB light should sit as close to the basking light as possible. You want them to blend together to provide heat and UVB over the basking area. It's OK to have areas away from the basking spot that are cooler and have less UVB exposure. That will allow them to self regulate which they are good at.

Kiley

Original Poster
Ok thank you for the info!
95676-8678815569.jpg
Look what fell off!! I only did the betadine and antibiotic ointment twice and I come hame and it’s off! Should I keep doing it because she still has dead skin on her and I can see bright orange skin underneath. Is that how I can help the dead skin to come off? Btw that dead skin has been on her since I got her and that was a month ago.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, that's what I thought would happen at some point. Can you post a pic of her tail end now ? You can just dab it with the solution for a few days but it should be fine.

Kiley

Original Poster
95676-1167991273.jpg
95676-6664746585.jpg
So that’s what it looks like. So showed I keep doing it until all the darker skin comes of because you can see the healthy skin underneath.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like there is still a small piece on the end that is dead so that should come off soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom