Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is my second year of owning dragons, and last year my beardie did not undergo brumation. Sadly we had to put him down due to an extremely infectious lung disease, and j have two new dragons one about 8-9 months old and I am not sure but I think my other one was about 10-12, I'll try and add pictures. Now that you know what age they are, I'll get onto brumation. My dragons have been sluggish lately and usually they would be quick to eat anything, but now they are slow while eating, staying in their hides, and being overall sluggish. I know that beardies typically brumate 5-8 weeks but I don't know when they start it is late November almost December, and just to be sure they have been cut down to 10 hours days with their lights being turned off about 5 and on at about 8, but I am reluctant to stop feeding because they are still feeding. Thank you for your help.

BraveHerpetology

Original Poster
HylianHealeys":4wz6vlx4 said:
Have you read the forum's guide to bearded dragon brumation yet? (https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/)

I have read that article, and found it very informative, but I still have a few questions.
They are still eating without problem should I turn their lights down to 10 hour
One is under a year old will he still brumate?
One is over a year old and is showing no signs and he still eats like crazy and its past November is he going to brumate?
Should still bathe them every week?
and Is this the reason their feces are very wet and runny?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
The one under a year old may or may not brumate, depending on how close they are to sexual maturity. I'm inclined to say most likely not.

If the older one chooses to brumate, it will be on his own time. There is no "right" time for a beardie to brumate. He will let you know when he's ready to brumate by sleeping a lot and refusing food.

Keep bathing them weekly. Higher than average hydration can lead to runny stool, but it can also be indicative of parasites.

Ultimately, while outside stimuli do have some influence over when a bearded dragon goes into brumation, ultimately it is up to the dragon's own biorhythm. If they're still active, don't try to force it by reducing "day" length or denying food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom