New enclosure heating issues. It’s to hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I just got my new enclosures and there is a built in platform that is 12 inches from the uvb bulb and basking bulb. Unfortunately the basking bulb is causing the platform to heat up to over 110 degrees. I heard that you can use regular house light bulbs as basking bulbs. Is this true?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a nice enclosure, good sized!
What wattage of bulb are you using? Regular house light bulbs work perfectly, or a nice
halogen spot/flood lights are good as well.
What type of thermometer are you using?

Tracie

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! My dad custom built them and he spent months researching. Right now they are zoo med brand 75 watt bulbs and they are still to hot. I did move the heating lamps more to the middle of the enclosures. So the edge of the platform is 95 degrees and the bottom enclosure is around 85 degrees. But I do want the lamp to be more over the platform. I use a temp gun to measure the temps

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
89991-8890770278.jpg
the fixtures are about half way over the platform. But I feel like they aren’t able to fully bask. I did put a log for the top dragon because she is my unhealthy dragon.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I would suggest trying a dimmer switch, as long as your heat lamp is an incandescent type that will work with them. I discovered them several years ago, and I stocked up on regular cheap 100 watt household white light bulbs for heat several years ago before they stopped manufacturing them. I now have each bulb on a dimmer switch, and I can dial them up and down if I need more or less heat, and I don't have to worry about swapping them out for lower or higher wattages, or about trying to jerry rig something to move the lamp higher or lower above the tank. It makes it really easy to adjust the temperatures when needed.

One thing to remember, however, is that not all lamps will work with dimmer switches, particularly the fluorescent tubes that are used for UV.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I went and bought halogen lights to see if that helps. I really hope they do work because I hear the lights last a longer time then normal basking lights.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't used the halogen lights for my reptiles, but I hear that a lot of people like them.

There may be an issue about handling the bulbs -- you may want to wear gloves, but I'm not sure if there's a concern with the modern ones. My father used to help his landlord with maintenance around the apartment building where he lived, including replacing their halogen lights when needed. They were burning out too often until they found that if you handle them, the oil on you hands shortens the life of the bulb. But this was probably about 30 years ago so this problem may have been corrected by now. Others may know for sure. :?

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have had the halogen lights for a few days and it seems to be working well. The temps are in the right range and gives off a good amount of light. I am so far very pleased considering I paid $5 for 2 bulbs compared to $15 for 1 basking bulb. If the halogen last 2 months with out blowing then I will be very pleased. I feel like the basking lights are replaced every month.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You might want to try keeping a log of when you replace your lights. That way you will have data to help you know which ones are performing best. It's also very important to replace the UV lights according to the manufacturer's instructions, especially if you don't have a UV meter, because they usually stop producing enough UV before they actually burn out, and we humans can't tell the difference, but your bearded dragon can.

I'm glad you've been able to get your temperatures where they're supposed to be. :D

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":nsck1fyx said:
You might want to try keeping a log of when you replace your lights. That way you will have data to help you know which ones are performing best. It's also very important to replace the UV lights according to the manufacturer's instructions, especially if you don't have a UV meter, because they usually stop producing enough UV before they actually burn out, and we humans can't tell the difference, but your bearded dragon can.

I'm glad you've been able to get your temperatures where they're supposed to be. :D

I know what I’m doing. My uvb lights get changed Every October because during the summer they bask in natural sun so they only need new bulbs during the colder months which they are brand new bulbs. This is a brand new enclosure custom made with brand new uvb fixture and brand new bulbs. My uvb isn’t the problem. My problem was the plat form was to hot from my basking light and the tile was holding In the heat to well. The platform is the proper 12 inches that it needs to be to the uvb light but the tile was holding in the heat making it 112 degrees. I switched to a house hold halogen light and now it sits around 95 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom