ADV/ Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
The only precaution I ever took was keeping their tanks clean. They got calcium a little more and vitamins. I raised their feeders. Keeping them hydrated is very important. My female got liquid calcium. I also did my own fecals. I also tend to look “outside the box” when it comes to husbandry. Every human is different and so are beardies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What do you mean look outside the box? My boy has had coccidia and pinworms 3 times each, and I keep his tank very clean. I give him (when he's eating/ not "sort of" brumating) calcium with D3 powder, and serrapeptase with liquid calcium in it. I give roaches that we breed, but we sometimes have to go elsewhere when we get low. Also, I have a very hard time getting my boy to drink.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
RJ came out of his "corner" today. It was about 11am when I noticed. I took him out, worked on a shed spot he has on his leg for a bit, tried to get him to drink water for a bit (tried adding a bit of honey). He took a few small licks. Cuddled with him for a bit. And when I put him back in, he sat under the heat for about 2 minutes, then went directly to his "corner," and closed his eyes. :)
I just FREAKIN LOVE HIM! I really hope he thrives when he's done brumation. Like remains healthy and has a great year (before next brumation). My heart truly needs him to do well. After all that I went through with Rex.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He came out and you were just hovering + waiting for a moment to grab him + give him some love. :) Many other owners feel the same way during brumation, and yeah he should be just fine.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey AHBD, I just have a question regarding RJs behavior (weather it's typical "semi-brumation" behavior). This morning he woke up, came out of his "corner," seemed quite alert/ awake, snacked on a bit of arugala (I believe this was up until at least 11 am or so - his lights come on at 8 am, and off at 6 pm unless I see him completely zonked out earlier, 4 or 5) then around 2pm (came home on a late lunch break) he appeared as though he was never up earlier, then when I got home at 5:30, he looked seriously zonked out, quite sleepy. :)
From what you've told me, it sounds like it would be normal, I just thought it was odd that in the middle of brumation (even though it's just "semi") that he would be so alert/ awake. I wasn't the one there this morning, my wife was, but she told me he was pretty alert, and sent me this pic, and he certainly appeared as such.
89591-5681914641.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's fine. :) A true brumation is when the temps. get to the low 60's at night and not much past the 70's or 80's during the day. They usually just sleep right through. When the temps. are higher they seem to just go in and out of naps....a few days here, a few days there. Sometimes a week, etc.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
HEY AHBD! So today at 8am RJs lights came on, he was out and very alert at 9am. My wife said he "looked" hungry :) so she offered a small horn worm and he scarfed it! So she offered a roach and he did the same, he ate 10! He also drank a WHOLE syringe of water, which is unlike him. At 2pm I came home for lunch and he was STILL out and alert! Not sure exactly what time he went back to his corner to doze off, but my wife was home about 5-530pm and was sleeping, but still peeking when I looked in on him. He went to sleep (lights out) at 6pm only because that's what they're set for, and wasn't sure how to proceed. I realize this was a short period, however it sure does seem as though he MIGHT be done??? Then there's also the fact that he did "seem sleepy" for a while before i actually cut his lights way down and allowed him to "brumate." So... Your thoughts on how to proceed and what you make of his day?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's all fine....the important thing is that his lights are on long enough for him to digest his food and that you don't offer a second meal within the same day until this phase is over.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes he had plenty of heat time. And it was only the one meal. But you think he may still be in brumation?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not really, it's just that phase they go through. He may still sleep a bit more or may just pop back up to his usual behavior. He will decide. :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I guess what confuses me is, if he's not done brumation, why is he hungry if their bodies shut down during the brumation period?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Because he's not really brumating. He may have the urge and if his lights were off + temps. were low his metabolism would slow way down. So he just sleeps a little more but his body is not in shut down/brumation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom