when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I remember when Rex did that too. I agree, there is a lot more going on with them than we understand. I'm glad Peppa is there to comfort you and help you through it.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
There is little doubt in my mind that bearded dragons in particular (and other animals in general) are sentient beings -- they may not experience grief and other emotions in exactly the same way that we do, but they definitely have feelings.

Sometimes I wish that I had empathic superpowers so that I could get inside their minds and experience the world as they do, maybe just long enough to get an understanding that might help me take better care of them.

Meanwhile, you and Peppa should cuddle all you want, but I think I probably said that already.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa is really making the most of the long the snuggles on me and on my wife.

She has been wanting to get down immediately after being fed by me and heads straight to the beardie tanks and looks in an does the wall / door dancing that Toothless used to do , I am pretty sure she's looking for Toothless. Then the stays close and curls up nearby.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Quite happy to chill out on the lounge seat next to me (wrapped in my t-shirt) most of the afternoon today, I think she may be adjusting to Toothless' absence.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Maybe Peppa is starting to realize that even though she's lost Toothless, she still has her human daddy/slave to cuddle up with. :love5:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She seems so sad and lonely when she's on the floor since Toothless' death, not keen to go far from her tank (and Toothless' tank) , perks up the moment she is picked up and deposited on me or next to me on my t-shirt , her happy colours start to show then.

She is definitely unhappy and doesn't understand why Toothless has disappeared. Had much the same responses and behaviours from Rex when Puff died and it took many weeks for Rex to return to her old self.
It's only 2 weeks since Toothless died so it's early days.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa's current favourate place to be and activity
PC120024.jpg

She's the perfect pet for a lounge lizard like me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Puff seems to be a bit happier today.

.... was back to her normal behaviours , only briefly looked into and visited Toothless' tank and then discovered the hall door was open and started ambling in the direction of the open (but not for long) door wanting to explore
.... or .... maybe she was looking for Cheakie as she last saw the bold and very cheaky water skink disappearing under the hall door after her encounter with the resident water skink the afternoon before my son and grandson came to visit
... or .... maybe she wanted to check the toys and other strange but brightly coloured boy's toys that were on the floor , our grandson turns the living area and the spare bedroom in a disaster area (looks like bomb went off in the bedroom when he's staying over with us).

Still enjoying very long daddy snuggles.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Awe, I'm glad that you all are getting along well after your loss, they definitely, without a doubt know when one of them is gone, and they definitely have emotions of sadness, happiness, confusion, etc. They show it every day...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Climbed off me after her feed of greens and crickets & silkworms and her nice crunchy desert of mealworm beetles , all my skinks and beardies have always loved those nice little crunchy on the outside but wet and gooey on the inside beatles ( they don't get them very often ) , looked for a few minutes into Toothless' tank and changed her mind, promptly crawling back to be and climbing onto my hand and forearm - my cue to pick her up and give her a snuggle.

This is Peppa showing her happy colours while napping my old t-shirt on the lounge next to me tonight after we had diner.
19dec2017_peppa_napping_next_to_me_on_lounge_on_my_old_red_tshir.png
My lovely 700g girl.

Sweet memories from the day (2 years ago today) when Peppa and Toothless came into our lives as little hatchlings.
19dec2015_baby_girl.gif

Peppa at 5 weeks old and 13.9g.

19dec2015_little_boy.gif

Toothless at 5 weeks old ....

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They're so cute. And they did lots of growing, too. :)

It's obvious that you've taken very good care of them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa has settled now....
She's showing more interest in the skinks , especially little Fluffy and our little visitor Cheakie .

She's settled into a new routine. She's up and basking from about 10am til 4- 5pm when she comes out or snuggles and her insects , I've cut back now to 1 large silkworm and maybe 10 large crickets per day + her greens if she wants them.
Getting the occasional superworm as a treat, also mealworm pupae and beatles (she loves their crunchiness and they help clean her teeth).
Then she tells me she is too hot and crawls off my lap onto the lounge next to me , and onto my old holely t-shirt for a nap and to chill next to me , she enjoys the occasional pat .
About dinnertime she comes back onto my chest for a snuggle , wrapped in the t-shirt and stays there til about 8:30-9pm then back into the tank for more UV and soon retires for the night.
Not shown any interest in floor time this week , no longer being so obsessive about Toothless' tank as she was, but she often has periods like that.
She's enjoying being daddy's special spikey girl and being spoilt by ne.

I'd like to get another beardie hatchling, another boy at least , or a another boy and girl as hatchlings in a few months but not seeing any advertised for sale by local breeders - I miss the beardies chatting with each other . Probably too late to get hatchlings about 4-6 weeks old for this summer from any of the local breeders.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like Peppa is adjusting well, and both of you seem to be enjoying your snuggles. :love5: :love5:

Are there any beardie rescues in your area? Might be a good thing to check out if you're looking for another beardie or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom