Pinworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

funmom

Can i bake my beardie logs in the oven and kill anything on them or do I need to pitch them? Vet said pitch them but I didnt ask her about baking them. If so, how long and what temp?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you can most definitely bake your beardie's logs in the oven. Try baking them at 250
for about 30 minutes or so. That should kill pinworms.
Did you change out any substrate remaining in the tank, also?

Tracie

funmom

Original Poster
We are changing everything and moving her to a new enclosure which will be tile. I'm going to disinfect her other items that are washable with a disinfectant like F10. Just concerned with logs.

lordcrim

I plan to bake my beardie's logs as well. Can we get an update? Did the 250 degrees work well for your logs? Did you place them in for 30 minutes? Also how is your little one doing?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I sanitize the wood in my tank this way too and it works well. The heat will kill off the pinworms.

funmom

Original Poster
I baked the log as suggested but mine is driftwood and it seems to have dried it out so now my beardie has been getting pieces off of it. Maybe it’s just old lol. He is doing much better. I can tell he feels better now that his worms are gone and he is adjusting well to his new enclosure.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he's feeling better. If the wood has splintered you might want to sand it down so it's smooth again. I use driftwood too and it has held up for a long time but I suppose it depends on what kind of wood it is to begin with.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I also bake both my wood and my rocks/ceramic decor at 250 degrees for 30-45 minutes to disinfect (we had a pinworm issue about 3 months ago), and I've never had an issue with driftwood, Mopani, or Grape Vine either, so yeah, if it's splintering I'd just get some heavy grit sandpaper and give it a sanding.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the wood turn out, were you able to get it sanded down some to help with the
splintering & or cracking?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom