Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great news ! The eye opening a bit , hopefully she will be able to see enough + feel well enough to hunt again. :) Still a way to go of course but everything sounds good so far.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I'm quite pleased with how she's coming , and how quickly she's learned she can trust me .

Update
0.3ml of Critta Care with 5-6 droplets of honey today.

The gunk is finally starting to loosen up , gentle soaking using water soaked bits of paper towel and then gentle wiping (no pressure applied) with a damp q-tip lifted some yesterday especially from her worse eye (the left eye) and again today from both eyes.

I don't think she even notices I'm doing this as she sits there and lets it happen no drama at all.

21nov2017_gunk_off_fluffy_s_left_eyelids.png

from Fluffy's left eyelids = some shed some dry puss

21nov2017_gunk_off_fluffy_s_right_eyelids.png

from her right eyelids , similar

I'm hoping now the gunk is starting to loosen up and come away (two soaks/washes per day) she'll soon able to open her eyes , hopefully she'll be ready to feed on BSF lavae when they arrive in day or two.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So now you know that Fluffy's digestive tract and kidneys are working -- a nice poop is a good sign. :wink:

Whatever is making that gunk in her eyes sounds like it's going to be somewhat stubborn, but hopefully you're making some progress with it.

It didn't take long for her to learn to trust you -- not feeling the need to hide and learning about all the good places to cuddle up on a warm mammalian body. :love5:

I hope she continues to improve, and I also hope that Peppa and Toothless and your other lizards aren't getting too jealous with you paying all this attention to the "new girl." :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
21nov2017_fluffy_how_I_found_her_asleep_at_1am_she_thinks_it_s_c.png

One of Fluffy's goofy sleeping positions , how I found her last night - sound asleep - when I had to wake her to do her eyes and stump and back lacerations with 1:2 manuka honey mix at 1am. She thinks it's comfortable.

Been a week now.

Both her eyes open a crack today , could see the LED headtorch reflecting off the eyeballs .
22nov2017_left_eye.png
22nov2017_fluffys_right_eye1.png

Even opened her left eye all the way just briefly and momentarily while I was letting explore my hand and chest . :) I am very pleased !!

Found another poo in her water dish this morning and she again wasn't hiding in her little hide while sleeping over night but chose to sleep up against the wall of the tub where I can see her / and she could see me ( and the TV ? ).

Some mealworm sized silkworms + a small tub of BSF lavae arrived today , maybe this time next week she'll be chowing down these instead of my needing to assist feed her with Critta Care by syringe.

SHBaily - the thing is , all my resident wild lizards are part tame towards my wife and I because they are fed regular tidbits of dead crickets + silkworms + silkworm moths, left over beardie & BTS food and occasionally mealworms. So it doesn't take a lot to tame them up if they need intensive care (if sick or injured).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy definitely is not keen on the sound of the whippersnipper (lawnmowing guy here today) she was very active in her tub when the whippersnipper was very close to the house.

I think she remembers it and associates it with fear and pain. Settled down when she opened her eyes and looked around and couldn't see the man and the machine, she then had a drink and settled (cleaver girl).

Once she worked out she was safe , she had a drink
23nov2017_fluffy_drinking.png

and then curled up behind her hide.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear the eye is opening. :) And yes, most animals have an instinctive fear of the noisy + potentially deadly mowers.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Aww... poor wee girlie. It's so wonderful who quickly she has adapted to being with you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":3t8cncy2 said:
Aww... poor wee girlie. It's so wonderful who quickly she has adapted to being with you.

She definitely seems to enjoy my nice warm body and hands.

All three rescued water skinks , Lucky , then Wriggles , now Fluffy, have.

She like the BTs and other rescued water skinks , loves her snout firmly rubbed , she pushes it hard into the rubbing fingers and when one side has been done enough turns her cheaks so I give the other side a good rub.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Today (24 Nov 2017)

Vaste improvement in Fluffy today.

Fluffy is much more curious and active today , still not keeping her eyes open all the time but she is opening both eyes completely to look around quite frequently when I'm trying to feed her by syringe and treating her eyes and lacerations with dilute manuka honey , and simply showing her curiousity about me and everything else she can see.

The calories in the manuka honey and the Critta Care liquid food + the 90 minutes per day under the 26W UVB200 globe (giving her UVA and UVB exposure) are really her a boost.

I am now converted , I never expected the manuka honey to be so effective at clearing up her eye infection. It's marvelous stuff.

24nov2017_fluffy_exploring_while_being_fed.png

She even had a visit from Cheakie while her 10L tub was on the floor in the 30L plastic archive box and she was getting her now daily 90 minute dose of UV (A&B) under the old 26W UVB200. Fluffy ignored Cheakie , but Cheakie certainly knew Fluffy was there and she was trying scratching at the side of the archive tub for a while.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is that her ? Wow, looks like a different lizard ! So good to see her wonderful progress....and yes, the raw honey is great for eye problems. I still remember my baby beardie with it's eye bulged out + full of pus that shrank down to normal within days of using honey in it. I was thrilled, too. Keep up the good work....you are the best thing that could have happened to this insignificant little scaly being. :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Oh my, she is looking so much better! Hat's off to you sir! Your love for these creatures is testament to your character, awesome job buddy!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Ditto to everything AHBD, Gormagon, and NBGwen said -- she looks waa-a-ay better, especially her eyes. :D

It's good that the local lizard population has learned that the two humans who live near them are harmless, not to mention providers of food, so that they're already half tame to start with just in case something like this comes up. It also sounds like you might end up adding another cuddly TV-watching lizard to your family. :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She much more active this morning, saw her drinking while I was comforting Toothless while he was dying. She's still not opening her eyes all the time , but she is opening them much more frequently and is really interested in me and everything she can see.

Fluffy must really like the Critta Care, she was trying to bite the end of the nozzle to get at it and made 0.2 ml disappear pretty quick.

Might be my imagination / wishful thinking , but she seemed very affectionate after her feed and didn't want to go back in the 10L tub, turned around and climbed back into my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom