16 month old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to make sure that I was feeding her enough. She eats mostly greens with some fruit daily, and about 30 crickets a week with maybe 10 superworms.

Jakestaken

Original Poster
93997-2790339897.jpg
Reptilelady":3m8valv6 said:
Hi,
How much does your beardie weigh and also can you upload a photo so we can see how she looks? :D

I dont have a scale that can measure her weight but heres a picture.
93997-5534516028.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks pretty healthy , nice + big but still on the thin side. What size are the crickets that you feed her ? Are they from the pet store or do you order them yourself ? If you are feeding anything but the large size crickets, be sure to switch to large size. You might also look in to dubia roaches, they're quite a bit larger + more filling. In the mean time you can increase the amount of crickets to help her gain a bit + fill out just a little more. :)

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
She does look healthy, active and alert which is good but she does look a bit thin. I would try to give her some dubias, BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larvae's), mix variety of food is best and nutritious! Rule of thumb is usually given as many as beardie wants in 10 to 15 mins. There pretty good at regulating how much they want. Although, since she is 9 months, you'll want to increase more greens + veggies as well.

This website has great nutrition info:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Also, do you gut-load your insects? If not, you'll want to just feed the feeders vegetable matter only.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I concur she’s a bit on the thin side but otherwise looks healthy and alert. Dubias have a better meat ratio than crickets so you may want to consider going that route. As the other member mentioned, BSFL are another good feeder choice (just note that their smaller size means you may need to feed her more to reach the equivalent of what you were feeding her in crickets). Some people are tempted to encourage weight gain by feeding their lizards piles of fatty bugs like wax worms and super worms, but this only leads to a new set of problems (a wax worm addicted beardie that shuns other insects, fatty liver disease, etc.). Overall the diet seems pretty good (I’d consider feeding fruit occasionally rather than daily) and with a tiny protein tweak she could gain a little more happy weight. ☺️

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Reptile lady, the O.P's dragon is 16 months, not 9 months. It sounds like she's eating a good amount of veggies as you suggested, which is great and will benefit her in the long run.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD":30c0ugjj said:
Reptile lady, the O.P's dragon is 16 months, not 9 months. It sounds like she's eating a good amount of veggies as you suggested, which is great and will benefit her in the long run.

LOL whoops my mistake :lol:

Keep doing what your doing and give her better quality feeders like dubias, etc :p

Jakestaken

Original Poster
Reptilelady":1apky8nr said:
She does look healthy, active and alert which is good but she does look a bit thin. I would try to give her some dubias, BSFL (Black Soldier Fly Larvae's), mix variety of food is best and nutritious! Rule of thumb is usually given as many as beardie wants in 10 to 15 mins. There pretty good at regulating how much they want. Although, since she is 9 months, you'll want to increase more greens + veggies as well.

This website has great nutrition info:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Also, do you gut-load your insects? If not, you'll want to just feed the feeders vegetable matter only.

Ok thanks i do gutload, but i cant really afford dubias, cuz at petco theyre 10 dollars for 2 dead ones. Do you know if theres any good places to buy them?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh don't every buy live insects at Petco or Petsmart, you're best to order all your live insects online at a place like www.dubiaroaches.com They have all the live feeders and you buy them in bulk at insanely cheap prices. I buy 1,000 BSFL at a time there for $23!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom