Hornworms

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Hornworms

Postby AtticusTheBeardie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Atticus’ mouth is about an inch wide. Can he try some hornworms?
AtticusTheBeardie
Newbie Poster

Re: Hornworms

Postby VenusAndSaturn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Any beardie can try hornworms i'd say. After all you can grow them to different sizes, one of my beardies Venus goes crazy for the fully grown ones that are 3-4 inches long, she goes crazy for all sizes but seems to really like the larger ones. Though i try not to give too many because of the high water content.
VenusAndSaturn
Juvie Poster

Re: Hornworms

Postby PodunkKhaleesi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 am

Almost all beardie owners are familiar with the “no insect larger than the space between the eyes” mantra, but with soft-bodied worms like hornworms you actually have a bit more leeway (no hard exoskeleton in the mix and thus you can feed a larger worm than you can a cricket). I order a cup of small hornworms for my juveniles and feed them off over the course of a week. Even the worms that have tripled in size are still easily demolished by my younger beardies. So while you never want to feed a gargantuan 4-inch hornworm to a youngster, the small and small/medium sized worms should work fine. Enjoy the comedically manic enthusiasm you’re about to witness when you feed a beardie a hornworm. ☺️
PodunkKhaleesi
Hatchling Poster

Return to Feeding