Hornworms

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Hornworms

Postby AtticusTheBeardie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Atticus’ mouth is about an inch wide. Can he try some hornworms?
AtticusTheBeardie
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Hornworms

Postby VenusAndSaturn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Any beardie can try hornworms i'd say. After all you can grow them to different sizes, one of my beardies Venus goes crazy for the fully grown ones that are 3-4 inches long, she goes crazy for all sizes but seems to really like the larger ones. Though i try not to give too many because of the high water content.
1.2.0 CBD, Saturn 27 Months, Venus 27 Months, Neptune 16 Months.
0.0.1 IBTS, Turtle 14 Months. 0.1.0 BP, Spice 11 Months.
0.1.0 LG, Delilah 12 Months. 0.1.0 Ultra Purple Tegu, Oreo 10 months.
-Former scaley family members-
1.0.1 CBD, Lilly (died due to impaction, 1-2 months), Lola (Originally thought to be female, 5-10+ years, possibly died of impaction)
VenusAndSaturn
Sub-Adult Poster

Re: Hornworms

Postby PodunkKhaleesi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 am

Almost all beardie owners are familiar with the “no insect larger than the space between the eyes” mantra, but with soft-bodied worms like hornworms you actually have a bit more leeway (no hard exoskeleton in the mix and thus you can feed a larger worm than you can a cricket). I order a cup of small hornworms for my juveniles and feed them off over the course of a week. Even the worms that have tripled in size are still easily demolished by my younger beardies. So while you never want to feed a gargantuan 4-inch hornworm to a youngster, the small and small/medium sized worms should work fine. Enjoy the comedically manic enthusiasm you’re about to witness when you feed a beardie a hornworm. ☺️
PodunkKhaleesi
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding